Thread: Thank you to everyone here.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you to everyone here.

I mostly lurk about but I wanted to thank everyone who put up with my proud dad posts about my son, Logan.

He will be studying music performance this fall with Lance LaDuke at Carnegie Mellon University. As of right now he plans tentatively on getting a masters in exercise science and somehow combining the two. He’s blazing his own trail in the world and I couldn’t be more proud of him.

Several year ago we were dirt poor and using our tax refund to buy him a Wessex horn. Before that a Mack Brass Euph. It was the advice here which really, really helped us. We live in a rural community with few resources nearby. Without the help of people like you all reading this, his development as a musician would have been far different.

Mr. Werden, thanks! To Snorlax, your skype lesson years back was an act of kindness which really means a lot to me and Logan. Thank you! To everyone who has taken the time to comment, thanks!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
    Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
    Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
    Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9

Jake, it was an absolute delight to work with Logan...his talent and the dedication were instantly recognizable!
    What a great combination he has chosen as well...lots of potential with performance and exercise science.
    This forum is indeed populated with intelligent, interesting, and talented folks...props to Dave for providing this
    space for all of us.
    Continued success to Logan and to his excellent parents!
    Jim
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Jake, it was an absolute delight to work with Logan...his talent and the dedication were instantly recognizable!
    What a great combination he has chosen as well...lots of potential with performance and exercise science.
    This forum is indeed populated with intelligent, interesting, and talented folks...props to Dave for providing this
    space for all of us.
    Continued success to Logan and to his excellent parents!
    Jim
    Jim, thanks! He almost went for exercise science as a major, but figured if he wants to work with elite musicians, he should become one himself. He sees a possible future working in DCI or even seeing patients individually somehow. He sees a void and wants to be the one to fill that void.

Wherever his path takes him, Music will be right there with him. The discipline, work ethic and motivation he learned from euphonium will help him whatever path he chooses.

Doesn’t hurt that his education will be almost free because of his euphonium talent and great GPA!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

Congrats to your son Logan. Carnegie Mellon sounds like a great choice and studying with Lance LaDuke should be great too! I used to think of CMU more of a science and technical institute but I was wrong. We had a horn player who played in our comm. band during H.S. He went to Tanglewood one summer and was chosen to play the solo in “Rite of Spring”. He went to Lynn Univ. for his bachelor’s but is now at CMU studying with William Caballero of the Pittsburg Symphony. Great opportunities in that area. Good luck to Logan.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Congrats to your son Logan. Carnegie Mellon sounds like a great choice and studying with Lance LaDuke should be great too! I used to think of CMU more of a science and technical institute but I was wrong. We had a horn player who played in our comm. band during H.S. He went to Tanglewood one summer and was chosen to play the solo in “Rite of Spring”. He went to Lynn Univ. for his bachelor’s but is now at CMU studying with William Caballero of the Pittsburg Symphony. Great opportunities in that area. Good luck to Logan.
    Thank you so very much! That is a very exciting story for me to hear. Logan has so many opportunities ahead of him at CMU.
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

6. I had the delight to teach a wonderful young man by the name of Noah Lauziere last year during his senior year of HS and shepherd him through auditions. He now is a freshman euphonium student at CMU under Prof. LaDuke. He is loving the experience. I hope that Logan has met (will meet) Noah. Also, make sure Logan spends time with Algirdis Matonis of the River City Brass Band. Best of wishes to your son.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    I had the delight to teach a wonderful young man by the name of Noah Lauziere last year during his senior year of HS and shepherd him through auditions. He now is a freshman euphonium student at CMU under Prof. LaDuke. He is loving the experience. I hope that Logan has met (will meet) Noah. Also, make sure Logan spends time with Algirdis Matonis of the River City Brass Band. Best of wishes to your son.

How cool! He has only met Abby Lanan that I know of but he is so excited to meet everyone in the studio. I’m excited for him! We have been watching “Matonizz” videos for years and he will definitely be checking out river city brass band and Algirdas Matonis (?) as much as possible. Thank you!!!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

8. Lance is fantastic. Congratulations!

Congratulations to Logan!
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S