Thread: Help with embouchure

1. Question Help with embouchure

Hey Folks. first post here, so be gentle, haha.

I am a student who has been playing the Euphonium for about 7 months now and it is only of recent that I have noticed my embouchure being all sorts of terrible. I could play from a Bb 1 to a Bb 4, and I sounded borderline 'okay'. However, my endurance has been suffering, as well as my lips were in constant pain from being curled in. I also have had a Large pocket of air appear under my left lip, which my Band Director says in what is causing my discomfort and what is making my High register sound muffled. this is the advice she had given me:
    "First of all, you need to hold your head up and bring your instrument to you - you tend to play with your instrument down and neck bent. Your neck needs to be straight and your head up. Posture and breathing are absolutely essential.
    You need to buzz naturally make sure corners are in and your lips are flat - you tend to fold your lips inward and curl and press the outsides of our lips together. You are trying to buzz with the outside of your lips rather than the insides. It is much harder to do this if your head is up and your neck is straight.
    Cheeks need to be in and the lips pulled back. You tend to press your lips together rather than let them buzz.
    Buzzing with a mouthpiece in front of the mirror will help.
    Be patient AND persistent - an embouchure change takes time. I suggest you talk to (1st chair). I had him completely change his embouchure in 9th grade and he sounds great on all low brass instruments and has a great range. If you see him play - his embouchure is perfect. It took time and persistence to get him there.
    Realize that you will temporarily lose some range and some flexibility - playing correctly means you are developing new muscles and habits. Give yourself the time to learn how to play properly."

Along with this, would anyone have any tips or tricks to get rid of this pesky air pocket?
    I play on a Wessex Dolce Ep-100 Euphonium with a Wessex 4Y mouthpiece, for anyone who was wondering.

I used to suffer from the same problem of filling the pockets under my lips with air. In order to fix it, I focused on channeling the flow of air from my throat straight through to the mouthpiece.

As far as the lip curling, I can only imagine that you might be pressing your lips together as in an exaggerated M sound. If that’s the case, I might suggest touching your lips together as in a light P sound. (I apologize if that doesn’t make sense - it’s how I would explain it)
    Last edited by Clayton M.; 04-19-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Adding suggestion!
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

3. Quote Originally Posted by Clayton M. View Post
    I used to suffer from the same problem of filling the pockets under my lips with air. In order to fix it, I focused on channeling the flow of air from my throat straight through to the mouthpiece.

As far as the lip curling, I can only imagine that you might be pressing your lips together as in an exaggerated M sound. If that’s the case, I might suggest touching your lips together as in a light P sound. (I apologize if that doesn’t make sense - it’s how I would explain it)
    Thank you for your quick response! will definitely try this out today at my rehearsal. cheers!

Your band director has given you excellent advice. First rate. Don't be afraid to use a pillow or similar to raise the horn up so you don't bend your neck down.

5. I know people who use towels and I know people who use yoga blocks to hold up their horns, so consider that too. Practicing with a mirror is an absolute must when you are trying to fix your issue
    T.J. Davis

Wessex Dolce
    G&W Kadja

6. It takes time to develop a good balance between muscle and air flow. It sounds like you may have more an air problem than an embouchure problem. One thing that never hurts is to add some air playing into your practice. Pull the horn about an inch away from your face and blow through the passage you’re working on with strong, full air and clear articulations, then play it with the same flow. I use this all the time in my practice with consistently good results. Good luck and keep us posted!