I have been playing the BBb tuba for 50 years. But, I have recently switched permanently to euphonium (getting older and wanting to downsize). I played euphonium (okay, really an American-style bell-front baritone) briefly in college about 45 years ago, and quite enjoyed it. So I cashed in my contrabass, and bought a Wessex Dolce.

Here is my question: I can play the euphonium pedal range with extreme ease. The Bb1 below the bass staff practically falls out of my horn. From there, down to the F1 is quite easy for me. Adjusting for the octave difference between a contrabass tuba and a euphonium, this is way lower than I was ever able to play my tuba. I could never hit the fundamental Bb0, let alone a fourth below that. On the other end, however, middle C is just about my current limit on the euphonium. That same note, in actual pitch, was in my range on tuba.

Bottom line, my actual range on euphonium—F1 to C4—is quite literally, the same range I had on contrabass tuba. Is this a common thing for former tubists? I am delighted to have a solid pedal range on the Dolce, but I am topping out at the midpoint of most euphonium music. A couple of months ago, I tried a Denis Wick SM4 on a non-compensating horn, and found it quite user-friendly. So this week, I am planning to head to the local music store with my own horn, and try out some mouthpieces. Maybe that will make a difference, but any suggestions, tips, experience?

Thanks.