Thread: Comparing 2 Yamaha Baritone compensated Horns YBH-831S NEO vs YBH-621S

Comparing 2 Yamaha Baritone compensated Horns YBH-831S NEO vs YBH-621S

Has anybody played both these horns and if so what are the differences besides the 4th vale on the 621S but none on the 832S.

I would love to hear your experiences on tonality and intonation.

Thanks much.

Cheers,
    Harry

PS I wont have an opportunity to try these horns.

The 621 is a much smaller bore and smaller bell, and doesn't have a compensating system. It's got a more trombone-like sound compared to the darker but reedy sound of the 831. Katrina Marzella Wheeler, who developed the 831 with Yamaha, told me it wasn't possible to make an instrument that projects like the 831 with a fourth valve on it, the extra weight and bracing just ruined the instrument. The Neo 831 is a really fantastic instrument! It's really something special. I like having four valves, but I've learned to do without because I really like the way the Neo plays. The 621, unfortunately, just doesn't sound like a baritone should in my opinion.
    --
    Barry

3. +1 Barry's comments. I LOVE my Sterling Virtuoso (not JP Sterling) baritone. It has a heavy bell that works well for someone like me who is fundamentally a euphonium performer. However, if I didn't have my horn, I would have the Yamaha YBH-831S NEO baritone in a heartbeat. It is FANTASTIC. Probably more responsive than my Sterling, but not quite as nice a sound (in my hands). The 621 is FAR behind.

Also, keep in mind that Barry converted from a 4 valve Besson 2056 Prestige baritone, so he has definite experience with these horns.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

The 621 is a much smaller bore and smaller bell, and doesn't have a compensating system. It's got a more trombone-like sound compared to the darker but reedy sound of the 831. Katrina Marzella Wheeler, who developed the 831 with Yamaha, told me it wasn't possible to make an instrument that projects like the 831 with a fourth valve on it, the extra weight and bracing just ruined the instrument. The Neo 831 is a really fantastic instrument! It's really something special. I like having four valves, but I've learned to do without because I really like the way the Neo plays. The 621, unfortunately, just doesn't sound like a baritone should in my opinion.

Barry
    +1 Barry's comments. I LOVE my Sterling Virtuoso (not JP Sterling) baritone. It has a heavy bell that works well for someone like me who is fundamentally a euphonium performer. However, if I didn't have my horn, I would have the Yamaha YBH-831S NEO baritone in a heartbeat. It is FANTASTIC. Probably more responsive than my Sterling, but not quite as nice a sound (in my hands). The 621 is FAR behind.

Also, keep in mind that Barry converted from a 4 valve Besson 2056 Prestige baritone, so he has definite experience with these horns.

Doug
    Barry, Doug, thanks so much for your replies. That was the feedback I was looking for.
    I had read similar comments/reviews before, but I wanted to make sure before I spend the extra money on the 831S NEO.

BTW, Yamaha does list the 621 as compensating.
    https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs

Thanks again

Harry

5. Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hilgers View Post
    BTW, Yamaha does list the 621 as compensating.
    https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs
    That has been a source of misinformation for YEARS. Somewhere, someone wrote the word compensating in the PR materials and it is just WRONG! The YBH-621S is a 4 valve non-compensating baritone. It plays identically to the YBH-301S and uses the same geometry and bore, it just adds the 4th valve for a whole lot of money.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. Resurrecting an old thread, but since I have both a Neo ybh831 baritone and a ybh621S at home this week (along with my Boosey and Hawkes round globe Sovereign), I have been alternating between all three for several days. The 621 is owned by the Mission Peak Brass band and was on loan from Tony Clements. The Neo is a new horn, under consideration to replace the Sovereign. My reactions match those of Doug. The 621S is made from heavy tubing and is noticeably heavier than the Sovereign or Neo, has a smaller bell, and a very bright sound not suited for a baritone, imho. However, it was very free-blowing, and matched the Sovereign in its ease of playing lip slurs. The Neo is beautifully made, with silky smooth valves, a lead pipe detached from the bell made from rose brass, and beautiful attention to detail. It has a nice tone, a bit darker than the Sovereign, but it has more resistance to playing, so lip slurs were harder than either of the other horns. I decided to keep the B&H Sovereign, even though it is an older horn with a number of cosmetic issues (it started life as a school horn in a Canadian Jr. HS). I wish I had access to a more recent, German-made Sovereign so I could compare.
    San Jose Wind Symphony (on leave 2020)
    San Francisco Brass Band
    Mission Peak Brass Band
    -------------------------------
    Adams E1 Custom .5mm
    Hirsbrunner Exclusiv 479
    Besson 2056-2, 955, 982, Imperial Euphonium & Prototype BBb helicon