Thread: Transitioning from large to european shank

Transitioning from large to european shank

Hey y'all!
    So, I went and bought a Willson 2900 with a BB1 mouthpiece (I want to switch to a SM4MU) from a Neo with aSM4X and I noticed a lot of my notes (particularly middle F) were sharp. Is there any way to help remedy this issue ie, mouthpiece changes and adapters, or is it something I have to learn to deal with?

That's pretty much standard for the 2900. Players seem to be able to get used to it over time. Here is the graph of the 2900 from my Intonation section on the main site:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Willson.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	6788
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I have used a 2900 for over 30 years and have never found too much issue with intonation of F# or G. High B flat is another story. I would recommend pushing the slides all the way in when you practice an seeing if you can learn to bring those notes down a bit. Why did your switch to a BB1? The BB1 feels quite a bit smaller than the the those Wicks, so maybe that is part of the problem. Try to avoid changing too many things at one time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Baridude View Post
    Hey y'all!
    So, I went and bought a Willson 2900 with a BB1 mouthpiece (I want to switch to a SM4MU) from a Neo with aSM4X and I noticed a lot of my notes (particularly middle F) were sharp. Is there any way to help remedy this issue ie, mouthpiece changes and adapters, or is it something I have to learn to deal with?
    As Dave's chart shows, the middle F is a bit sharp and the G above that is close to perfect. The following A is extremely flat. It is characteristic of the 2900. It is on my horn when played with my Wick SM4MX.