Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing with limited warm-up time

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Just a follow up on my original post. My duet was this past Sunday and things went mostly fine. I managed the offertory fine as well as the anthem. But I blew up the first few measures of the postlude. I recovered, but was damned embarrassed. I think that I was so focused on the anthem, that after it was successfully played, I relaxed, knowing the the postlude was the easiest of the three. So I guess I lost focus at the beginning of the postlude and didn't breathe adequately and garbled the heck out of the first few measures. And this was the easiest of the three!
    Fret not, and no worries. We have all goofed up something more than once and sometimes on the easiest things. I play some challenging solos (the stand out in front of the band kind of solos) with one of the bands I am in, and during some of the rehearsals, it never fails that I will be playing along and start "daydreaming" about something else, then totally blow some aspect of my solo. Play the wrong thing, wrong ending, totally forget where I am (I mostly play solos memorized so no music to look at to recover from). I usually have the director stop, and I smile to the band and say, sorry, I wasn't paying attention. And that was exactly the problem. It is useful to pay attention from the start to finish, and it does require concentration. I mostly haven't done this during the live performances (I tend to really concentrate and pay attention), but there have been some rare times that I have played not what I intended, but luckily I can usually ad lib sufficiently to cover my "going off script".

You will nail it next time!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

We once played Bohemian Rapsody with my band and the final note is a high concert A, only played by the first euph, so it's completely open.
    For some reason I lost focus as well and that one note was a bloody disaster... not my proudest moment. 🙃

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12