Thread: High Range and the Horn

High Range and the Horn

I've played a Willson 2950 for almost 15 years now, and I've never felt like it has held me back. I've always maintained an attitude of 'It's the player not the horn', and I still abide by that near religiously. However, I recently had an experience that makes me question some of my (tightly) held beliefs...

I got a chance to briefly try a Besson 967 (a pre-Buffet Besson too!) that was similar age to my Willson. The first thing I noticed were that the top 3 valves were noticeably freer, almost TOO light. I didn't check the rebound to see if it bounced at the top, but I've never experienced Euph valves that felt like Trumpet valves. Again, I don't think my Willson's valves are bad or they are inhibiting my 'speed', but the springs definitely have more resistance to them. In the long run I'm not sure I'd like the looser feel, but maybe it would speed up my finger? *shrugs*

What was most noticeable to me was the high range. I've always struggled with the extreme high range above concert Bb. In my serious practicing days towards the end of college I was realistically comfortable up to Db, but those 3 notes above Bb were serious work every time. Out of practice in that range, I can usually reach C (but B natural is Really squirrely) and maybe pinch out higher early in the morning. I just chalked it up to me physique and needing to work harder. Then I grabbed the Besson and plugged in the same mouthpiece. At least in the 5 minutes I tried going back and forth between the two horns, that range was noticeably easier on the Besson. Not easy by any means, but maybe they just slotted better and were actually obtainable.

I know the 2950 is the Bigger Willson, but the 967 is the 12" bell version if I'm not mistaken. Is this a known quirk in the two instruments, or just a case of my brain playing tricks on me "perceiving" differences, and my brain telling my body to feel like my Willson is more difficult due to the associated years of struggle on that horn?

I have a 1979 Sovereign 967 and a Willson 2960TA Celebration, and the high range on the Sovereign IS easier than on the Willson. My teacher (who went from Willson to Besson himself) said that it had to do with some design differences between the brands (I believe he mentioned the leadpipe curve but I can't really remember clearly anymore) that leads to the difference in the ease of playing in the high range. So yeah you're not going insane, it is actually a thing. It is one of the things I like about my Sovereign, but the absurdly sharp 6th partial, among others, really makes me turn to my Willson as my main instrument.