Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB large rim diameter, small shank mp

WTB large rim diameter, small shank mp

I posted this over on the Trombone Chat forum and got no response so I'll copy and paste here what I posted there and see if any of you here might have a moutpiece that you'd like to part with that would be similar to what I'm looking for.

Looking to purchase a large rim diameter, small shank mp to use when I travel.

I play mostly Marcinckiewicz mouthpieces-- 8H on small bore, 4 on large bore and 3 on bass bone, but I use a UMI 5G on euphonium.

Marck doesn't have a large cup diameter, small shank, I don't believe, so I'm open to other brands to use on my small bore horn that I take on trips. The larger the rim would come close to a bass bone rim, the more I would be interested.

Marck's have narrower and sharper rims than Bachs, so that would be a preference, as would cheap price-- a few nicks not on the rim would be OK. I often play the small bore with a practice mute when we are in a hotel, so I'm not as worried about the sound quality of the mp with my small bore horn. I simply want to be able to keep up the bass bone chops while on a trip.

Doug Elliott can put a small stem on the biggest bass trombone mouthpieces if that's what you really want to do.
    --
    Barry

I agree with Barry's post - check with Doug Elliott. But that is not totally compatible with your desire for a low-price solution. On the other hand, Doug lets you return pieces if they are not quite right and swap for a different piece. If it took a few tries to get the best solution, Doug could be the most cost-effective path, not to mention the most satisfactory.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Doug's default rims have a fairly flat profile and fairly sharp inner edge, but he can also copy any other rim or even cut the rim off a mouthpiece you like and thread it to work with his system. He also has a narrow rim option that I like a lot.

Dave's right that it isn't inexpensive, though, unfortunately!
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Dave's right that it isn't inexpensive, though, unfortunately!
    I've discovered that this depends on how you measure the expense.

If you compare the cost of one of Doug's mouthpieces to a number of other high-quality major brand (or even boutique brand) mouthpieces, then Doug's are "not inexpensive".

If you compare the cost of one of Doug's mouthpieces to the half-dozen mouthpieces you bought in a futile attempt to find "the one" before giving up and going to Doug, then Doug's turns out to be a bargain (or would have if you'd just started with it in that case).

Not that I don't have some non-DE mouthpieces that I like very much. But I've had probably two dozen that didn't work out for me, and I've not had one of Doug's that didn't. Still, most of us can't resist the lure of experimentation and adventure.

One thing that might be considered in this case is having Doug modify your existing favorite mouthpiece to take his screw shanks, and then just swapping shanks as needed. This is still "not inexpensive" -- but you have to evaluate the true cost as an increment relative to the alternatives, and the true benefit as a comparison to the results in the alternative cases. I have this approach for one of Doug's mouthpieces that I use on my Mac Brass euph (large shank) and my Amati oval euph (Euro medium shank).
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Thanks for the advice. I've already thought of Doug's mps, but for a set-up that I will likely use no more than a dozen times a years and the overwhelming majority of those with a practice mute in the horn, I can't justify the cost. One of his rims alone is more than I want to pay for the whole mp, even used from what I've seen on here and on the Trombone chat forum.

What I'm really looking for is someone who has a small shank euphonium and tried a really large mp on it and found it didn't work well and wants to get rid of it. While the Marck narrow and sharper rims are my favorite, I will gladly take a wider and rounder rim as long as it's large in diameter.

When we traveled recently for a week, I took along my small bore due to space constraints and I didn't like the adjustment back to my bass bone mp when we got back. The shift from a large bore tenor or typical euphonium mp wouldn't be as great.

My ideal might be someone who has a Wick 4YAL laying around that is a little bit beat up except for the rim, but I don't expect to find one very easily.

Anyway, if anyone has ANY large diamter, small shank mp, for cheap, please contact me.

7. The largest Wick mouthpiece you can get with small shank is a Wick 4AY. Pretty much the same as a Wick 4AM or 4AL but small shank. They might also make an SM4B (for baritone). The Wick 4BS is similar to the 4AY but shallower cup. I will check my inventory, but my 4AY is a keeper. I don't think I have my 4BS anymore, but I will check.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Someone over on the Trombone Chat forum had a Schilke 53 small shank for a reasonable price. I know rim measurements are all over the board, but from Dave's chart it seems to be about a Wick 4 size and might do the trick for me.

Is anyone here familiar with the Schilke 53?

I'll ask again in case someone mised my question.

Anyone here familiar with a Schilke 53?

THe Schilke 53 is a 26.26mm rim. Very similar to a Bach 3. Both have fairly small throats IMHO
    THat was most likely my Post on the Trb Chat.
    It has sold.
    Being a Bass Trombonist primarily, I like large diameter inner rims.
    I have a Hammond 10ml 26.13 $100 New now $150
    Warburton 7ST with 6* Shank Very Deep 26.13 rim $160 New $205
    I have a DW 4AL someone modified to a Small Shank in Gold .Needs replating 26.00mm $40
    Free Conus shipping on what I have for sale
    Curry makes some Large Diameter Rim mpcs in Small Shank as Does Josef Klier
    johnmckevitt60@gmail.com for pics
    TY John McKevitt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast