Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wessex New Chicago Showroom open to visit

Thank you so much Aroberts for your insight on the three horns... Will you be upgrading to a Wessex?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Good question, Guido!

Without rambling, the simple answer is I don't know, haha.

And now to ramble, after playing the Dolce back to back with my Schiller, I do think the Dolce offers some things in terms of tone that my Schiller might lack. However some of the things that I hoped to be magically cured by the Dolce were still issues for me, specifically flexibility and slotting. So I guess to fix those I'll just have to practice!

The other complicating factor for was how much I enjoyed playing the Festivo. Of course the Festivo is a bit more expensive, so that muddies the equation for me. And from talking to Steve at the showroom the handmade EP-600 might be out later in 2019, so maybe I just save even more for that one. (You can see where the spiral is heading!)

For now I will keep playing my horn and weighing my financial priorities.

Hello ARoberts, looks like you might have developed a minor case of Euphophilia Gravis... Often this syndrome has complications, leading to attacks of Euphophrenia Furiosa with episodes of Upgraditis Brassica *Grins!*

More seriously, I heard a while ago that an EP600 prototype might be shown at the upcoming ITEC conference in Iowa City... I for one am looking forward to playtesting it.

Saluti, Guido

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello ARoberts, looks like you might have developed a minor case of Euphophilia Gravis... Often this syndrome has complications, leading to attacks of Euphophrenia Furiosa with episodes of Upgraditis Brassica *Grins!*
    The only prescription, is more cowbell! (and more practice)

5. Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    The only prescription, is more cowbell!
    Oooh boy.
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

I totally am down with said disease. There's always another better horn around the corner!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

As you can tell from my rather motley stable of instruments and the turnover rate, I don't seem to be subject to these diseases -- at least in the area of brass musical instruments. But none of you seem to have very serious forms of the afflictions either (at least in the case of euphoniums) -- or else you would be buying VERY much more expensive examples.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Hello Gary, doubtless the manifestations of brassophilia nervosa affecting even the most ardent members of the euphonium and tuba community is invariably much milder than the related scurge of audiophrenia nervosa and its variants, which devastates the world of high-end audio hobbyists, where, in the most severe cases, the aflicted appear to sink dozens of thousand dollars several times a year in their audio gear.

See my old "scholarly" article on the subject at:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue46/audiophrenia.htm

Saluti, Guido

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12