Thread: Getting back in the game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting back in the game

Hi all,
    Noob here, and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Anthony B. and I played Euphonium in the Marine Corps band (field bands, not The President’s Own) from 1995 to 2003. I haven’t played since 2003, but have decided that it’s time to get my chops back in order and start playing with the local community college concert/community band. Hopefully I’ll be able to get enough chops to play in the spring concert with my son who’s getting ready to leave for college for percussion major.

I currently don’t own a horn, and have been going nuts trying to find a decent horn that isn’t a student model. I’ve gone and called all the music stores in the St. Louis area, but most of the time the response I get is: “What’s a Ufonimumum.” But of course, I’m sure you’re all used to that as well when you talk to people.
    Then I came across this forum and through careful reading of several posts on this forum, I have decided to go with a Wessex Dolce. I thank you all for the help even though you didn’t know you helped me!

When I was in the Corps, I played on Wilson’s and Hirsbrunners...but I don’t have the money for neither...even though I will gladly accept an Adams E3 for Christmas...

Anyway, I am super excited to start this journey again and look forward to many conversations with ya’ll!

Also, as this is my first forum that I’ve ever joined, if I do something wrong or post on the wrong thread, bear with me!
    “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” -Robert Hughes

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you landed on the Wessex idea. It has worked very well very several folks on the forum and elsewhere.

Are you considering going to the International Tuba-Euphonium Conference in Iowa City? It is at the end of May and would be an enormous opportunity.

http://www.iteaonline.org/conference...ence_index.php
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you.

The only issue with the Wessex is they don't have internal finance...so I'm going to have to go to a bank, because I don't want to use a credit card. Another thing that is getting to me is that it seems I have forgotten how to read music! Imagine that...I mean, I still know and can "air play" the fingerings for Stars and Stripes Forever (I think that song will be forever embedded in my mind and fingers) but I'm looking at my youngest son's trombone music, and I can't remember...
    Hopefully with muscle memory, I'll be able to jump back in.

As far as the ITEA, I would love to go and I'll try. I'm a bi-vocational pastor, so basically two full time jobs...But I'm going to try.
    I have a Marine buddy of mine who is at Ohio State and plays the Trombone, I'm going to try to get him to go and give me more of an "umph" to make plans.

Edit: I look at my youngest son's trombone music...
    Last edited by PastorAtrain; 03-16-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Claritfication
    “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” -Robert Hughes

If you do make it to ITEC, look me up. I'll be around!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Reading music will come back quickly. It's like riding a bicycle.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)