X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger
    • Oct 2017

Performance mutes

I've seen a lot of postings on practice mutes, but I'm interested in in a good playing mute. I came across a YouTube video of teenager Cameron Scott (England) playing "Bernie's Tune" to an iRealpro backing track. I really liked the sound he was getting with his mute and it's leading me to get a mute and noodle around in my practice room with some jazz tunes. I already use iRealpro with my guitar, so I'm ready to expand it to my horn. Cameron's mute is a Dennis Wick straight mute (I asked). But before I rush off and order that mute, I'd like your opinions on a good mute for getting a nice jazz sound. Is there support for the DW straight, or are there other options out there just as good or better? All comments always sincerely appreciated!
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

That model mute (Wick) is the same one I have and use when needed... which is not often. I added more cork to mine to use with my M5050 so it’s better in tune.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• djwpe
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RickF View Post
      That model mute (Wick) is the same one I have and use when needed... which is not often. I added more cork to mine to use with my M5050 so it’s better in tune.
      A LOT more cork. Like double.

Comment

• Roger
        • Oct 2017

Mutes

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
        A LOT more cork. Like double.
        Thanks for the input. That's helpful.

Comment

• Roger
          • Oct 2017

But if intonation is an issue with the DW, what mutes are better? Is there a top recommendation for intonation?

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

Most mutes affect intonation some since they get in the way of the normal response from the bell. The Wick is a good design in that regard but none are perfect.

Here’s a link to my post about tuning my Wick mute:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e#.XIrhzhopChA
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Roger
              • Oct 2017

Thank again Rick.

Comment

• ghmerrill
                • Dec 2011

It's quite common in the trombone world to drill holes in your mute. This is, first of all, quite a bit of exciting fun and experimentation; and it can be regarded as a kind of art form. However, all of that aside, it's a very common practice in order to get your instrument to play in tune when the mute is inserted and also to get certain notes (typically fairly low, or very low, ones) to speak properly.

I have NOT had to do this on my bass trombone H&B stonelined mute or on my aluminum Wick straight or adjustable cup mutes for the bass trombone, but I do have a Windy city "symphony" bass trombone mute that I had to do it on (and I now don't use that mute, favoring the Wick). I also had to do it on my tenor straight mute to get it to work well on my Olds Standard.

Since mutes on euphoniums (and tubas) are so infrequently used, I don't know if this practice is even known in the euph community. But it may be something to consider at some point. Part of the art is exactly where to drill the holes and how large they should be. I'm of the "no larger than 1/8 inch" school of thought. And the usual drill sites are either around the side perimeter at the end or in the end itself -- spaced according to your personal arcane principles. My H&B tenor mute, for example, has three holes in equilateral triangle apex configuration about 1.5" from each other. It made a huge difference.

Just a thought -- and not really trying to encourage you guys to start punching holes in your mutes.
                Gary Merrill
                Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• djwpe
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  But if intonation is an issue with the DW, what mutes are better? Is there a top recommendation for intonation?
                  The Miraphone 5050 has a much bigger bell throat than most, so the mute needs more cork to keep it at roughly the same insertion depth as it was designed for.
                  Last edited by djwpe; 03-16-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• daruby
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
                    The Miraphone 5050 has a much bigger bell threat than most, so the mute needs more cork to keep it at roughly the same insertion depth as it was designed for.
                    The throat of the Adams E3 is also very large. My Best Brass practice mute is swallowed whole by my E3 compared with my Sterling in which it fits perfectly. The cork does not touch the bell in my Adams, but the aluminum sides of the mute sure do rub on the bell!

As regards playable mutes, my Denis Wick DW5513 straight mute (not the DW5512 practice mute or the DW5587 travel mute) plays well in tune and is pretty much the standard among euphonium players I know. IT IS NOT A TRAVEL MIUTE. It is large, ungainly, and easily will nick or clank your bell going in if you are not careful. Very difficult to do a quick mute change too! But it works!
                    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                    Concord Band
                    Winchendon Winds
                    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• John Morgan
                      • Apr 2014

My thinking on mutes for euphoniums (and tubas for that matter) for actual performances - They suck! All of them. I don't plan on sticking a mute in my euphonium for any performance. I think it is silly for any composer to write in a muted part for a euphonium or tuba. Call me radical or whatever, I see no purpose whatsoever in muting a euphonium or tuba.
                      John Morgan
                      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                      Year Round Except Summer:
                      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                      Summer Only:
                      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• DaveBj
                        • Oct 2011

Yeah, sticking a mute in a euphonium (or tuba) is like putting ketchup on ice cream.
                        David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                        2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                        2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                        2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                        Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                        Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• bbocaner
                          • May 2009

eh, the right repertoire where the composer knows what they are doing muted euphonium can be really effective. I can think of several recent brass band test pieces where euphonium mutes, especially cup and bucket mutes are used to really excellent effect to get amazing textures and timbres you just couldn't achieve any other way.

with regards to straight mutes, the metal ones like the wick are good if you need a metallic sounding mute. I like the trumcor for most things. the peter gane is excellent too but I think the trumcor has a little nicer sound.
                          --
                          Barry

Comment

• ghmerrill
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
                            eh, the right repertoire where the composer knows what they are doing muted euphonium can be really effective. I can think of several recent brass band test pieces where euphonium mutes, especially cup and bucket mutes are used to really excellent effect to get amazing textures and timbres you just couldn't achieve any other way.
                            I can imagine this, but haven't actually heard it myself. The few times I've heard pieces with muted tuba sounded contrived -- not to mention the whole project of getting the mute into the tuba and then getting it out again without banging it on the tuba, a nearby tuba, a chair, the floor, etc. At least a euphonium mute is easier to handle.

Perhaps the proper approach to the use of a tuba mute should be a more military one -- like a crew-served mortar.
                            Gary Merrill
                            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• bbocaner
                              • May 2009

This is a good example, the orchestration is really genius. The section starting at around 8 minutes in is especially good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogAGbVuYW4
                              --
                              Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X