Thread: King 1173 baritone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. King 1173 baritone

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask anyway, to confirm or correct.

Is anyone familiar with the King / HN White 1173 4v baritone "Improved model"? It appears to be a small bore baritone, which I take to mean it's really stuffy with no low range to speak of. Is that correct? Are there redeeming qualities?

I don't know that model, but from the photos I'm guessing it is/was a typical American baritone/euphonium. The 11" bell is one sign. I think it would probably respond pretty well if the valves and body of the horn are in good shape.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Link:
    http://www.hnwhite.com/Euphoniums%20...s.htm#Improved

It appears to be nothing more than H. N. White marketing of the 20's and 30's; no essential differences from the King American instruments we all know about.

4. Well, as a follow up, I did buy the instrument. It was billed as a compensating euph, but it turned out not to be a compensator at all. So its going back. It has a nice sound, but over all its dreadfully out of tune. It has some nice features, like a water key before the 1st valve. I was hoping, just didn't work out. I never did find the model number on the horn at all.