Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!

You are in high school and debating on which $8,000 euphonium to buy?

Just a couple more thoughts.

The 5050 is great for some solos. The March from the Holst 2nd Suite is my favorite solo, and the 5050 shines there. Where it is not as strong is in playing lighter music that needs a bouncy/dancing feel. The Adams E3 does very well on the big solos but can still fit nicely when you want your notes to dance a bit. The Miraphone 1258 is a nice horn, but of the 2 Miraphones I very much prefer the 5050.

In the Adams line, if you like a big, dark sound, I would suggest the E3. Mine is .60 metal and has a sterling silver bell. That latter option is very expensive. You could save a bit and have a horn that is extremely close to mine, and would be easier for a younger player to manage, if you chose an E3 in .70 yellow brass.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBMiller View Post
    You are in high school and debating on which $8,000 euphonium to buy?
    Man, I wish I had those kind of deep pockets in HS, or parents willing to spend that much. But there were plenty that did, even 20 years ago, especially for very good stringed instrument players. I am STILL amazed that the Sterling Euphonium I own came in a case with an "All South Jersey Junior High School Band". So that means a 7th/8th grader was given a professional Euphonium.

I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a compensating euphonium until I was a Junior in HS.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

To the OP.... At ITEC 2019 I play-tested most euphos... Various Adams, Yamaha, Besson, and Miraphone, just to name a few brands. My very favorite was the Miraphone M5050, for its ease to "speak" even though I am a nube, as well as for its intonation, iridescent harmonics, and "heroic" tembre when pushed, so much so that I have nicknamed it a Helden Euphonium.

Yet, since I have listened to Bente Illevold performing the Rococo' Variations on her brand new Shires Q41, I am getting the impression that this brand new shires offering might be capable of both an intense orchestral tone and singular agility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBy0KNIcvU

And at just below $6K, including case and mouthpiece, Q41 and its Q40 sibling are not as heavy a financial burden. Worth trying out/considering.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Man, I wish I had those kind of deep pockets in HS, or parents willing to spend that much. But there were plenty that did, even 20 years ago, especially for very good stringed instrument players. I am STILL amazed that the Sterling Euphonium I own came in a case with an "All South Jersey Junior High School Band". So that means a 7th/8th grader was given a professional Euphonium.

I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a compensating euphonium until I was a Junior in HS.
    Your not alone in your sentiment Mike, I had no clue about comp euphs until I restarted 25 years after college. I played the same Yamaha 321 through high school and college. In fact, the college horn I used was a 321. Sticker shock for sure once I restarted!
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12