Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Help!

Hey y'all!

I'm a junior in high school and I'm searching around for a horn that can replace my school Neo that I'm on right now. Right off the bat, I don't like the Neo that much and only stuck with it because my mouthpiece (a SM4X, looking to go to a SM4U soon) helped me get a darker tone for me, and its the only horn my school had avalible. I'm debating between a Miraphone 5050, a Miraphone 1258A, an Adams E3,or a Wilson 2900. I would love a horn that feels "wider" (if that makes sense") and heaver, with a deep sound throughout. Price is obviously a concern, but I could make it work.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I've played or owned all the ones you mention (and am now playing the Neo, which is the goldilocks horn for me). It's either the Miraphone 5050 or the Adams E3 you want. Nothing feels wider than the 5050; nothing feels deeper than the E3. Both have a larger bell than the Neo, which will spread the sound more and make both feel bigger than the Neo, and so on.

Every horn is a matter of what compromises you want to live with, as well as what strengths.

John

Welcome to the forum, Baridude!

John gave an answer pretty close to mine, but I would add that you might also try to play a Willson 2950 or 2960. Both offer a bigger sound than the 2900. The 2900 is more compact in character.

Obviously my choice was the Adams, but I like the 5050. Of the lot, Adams has the best intonation if you don't use a trigger, and my personal preference is to not have a trigger.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. John could you elaborate on the wider and deeper sound concept? Im also looking at both these horns and really wish someone would A/B them at the same time. I know they are both great but would be nice to hear the same piece played by the same person on both...

JJ

I’ve played a 5050 for 7 years. I highly recommend the horn for intonation, flexibility, and sound.

Don

I agree with Don.

I was planning to post some comments about the M5050 but it would be easier to share a link that more than covers the M5050. Its 12 pgs long and spans about six years. Here’s that link:

Miraphone 5050 impressions from JTJ:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...J#.XIaGgBopChA
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I have owned the M5050 and I currently own the Adams E3. I have also owned many Bessons, a Yamaha 842, a Hirsbrunner, but no Willsons (have played on a few).

The M5050 was my all time favorite horn when I bought it around 5 or so years ago. It is the largest euphonium I have owned. The bore size is bigger than most, if not all. With that comes the requirement to be able to fill it with air (good lungs). It has a huge sound, and while some may think is sounds just a wee, tiny bit tubby, it is still a very nice, mellow, dark euphonium sound. Check out videos by Demondrae Thurman who is a Miraphone artist and plays the M5050. He sounds spectacular on that horn. An added benefit with the M5050 is that the high B natural (concert pitch) plays beautifully on this horn (on most other brands it is awful). So if you want a dark, mellow, huge sound, you really can't beat the M5050.

I decided to switch to an Adams E3 for a couple reasons. I was very interested in the Adams when I was thinking about selling my Yamaha 842 (which I did and got the M5050). And the M5050 was the other horn I was considering. But since I could not try an Adams, and I could get an M5050 on approval, I went with the M5050. But, I am a senior now who smoked for way too many years (fortunately I quit several years back), and having diminished lung capacity, the M5050 was tougher to play for me. I could do it, but just not to the level I wanted. So, I decided to switch to the Adams. Also, I could customize the Adams to my liking (which I did). And by the time I made the switch, the Adams was really getting some good reviews. So, it was a leap of faith, and came after chatting with Dave Werden, van Emmerik, and others.

The Adams E3 is for me, hands down, the finest euphonium I have ever owned, and I do not foresee ever switching to another horn. The sound is awesome, full, mellow, resonate, has presence and has sparkle. The response is outstanding. Slotting is easier on this horn than most. Intonation is excellent, best I have had on any horn. High B natural is easy. The horn just sings beautifully. I can play this horn all day and never tire of listening to it. And it is a beautiful horn, thanks in part to the full bell engraving I had done along with the brushed finish. You can do many custom things with the finish and metal selection.

So, in short, either one of these horns could work for you. From what you wanted in your post about wider, deeper, etc. I would be inclined to say check out the M5050. But I can't help recommending the Adams E3 as well.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 03-11-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

ITEC is in just a few months. If you're near Iowa, that'd be a great opportunity to try out different horns.

Even within the same make and model, individual horns can vary in feel. What some consider the best horn for them might not end up being the best one for you. All of these brands make a fantastic product, and it's honestly personal preference at this level of instrument.

I agree with Dave, definitely try out a Willson 2950 or 2960. They are great horns with a big sound, and great slotting and intonation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast