Sponsor Banner

Collapse

The Jupiter XO 1270... What should I look out for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisH
    • Aug 2018

The Jupiter XO 1270... What should I look out for?

Hello! So, as I transition out of high school and into college, I've been wanting to upgrade my instrument. I currently play on a W. Nirschl I-800, and the horn has been great since 7th grade - my parents paid around $3000 for it (used, but on a monthly plan) and the only time it's ever been worked on is when I've damaged it by accident. It's got its' issues (severe tuning problems on the 5th and 6th partials, poorly made slides, and some questionable valve construction), but I got a great deal.

I originally wanted a Miraphone M5050 Ambassador, but seeing as those horns start around $9300, even with 36-month financing at 0% interest, I wasn't going to be able to comfortably swing it. I considered a M5000 Ambassador as well, but even at around $7200, I would have been pushing it. After quite a bit of looking around, I decided to go a bit lower-grade for now, and hopefully spring for a Miraphone (or a similar instrument) once I'm better off financially. I couldn't pass up 36 months at 0% financing, I really couldn't, so I decided to look into a Jupiter XO 1270. This was one of horns that was originally recommended to me (as a cheaper alternative to the Miraphone or Willson I wanted), and after looking around, I decided to go for it.

I couldn't find a ton of information on the redesigned XO euphs, so I was wondering if any of you have any personal experience with quirks the instrument might have. I've played one before, and the instrument felt good - I won't have any problem playing it from a comfort or preference standard, I don't think. Do the valves usually hold up well? Any issues with cheap valve guides? I'll be using Meade Springs, so no issue with stock springs. I'll be using a Schilke 52E2 for my mouthpiece. Any horrendous tuning problems that aren't found on other horns?

Basically, what're your opinions on this instrument in 2019? I've found a few older threads, and it seems to be a pretty split argument.
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to the forum!

You can see what my intonation tests revealed here:

http://www.dwerden.com/Intonation/

You can also compare to other brands if you check more than one box.

Here is my mini-review of the XO I tried in 2014. When did the redesign occur? I am not up to speed on that.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...-XO-and-Wessex
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• ChrisH
      • Aug 2018

Apparently there was some sort of redesign, I believe before 2014 - I've seen it mentioned several times on forums, although I've not seen anything from Jupiter itself on it.

So, intonation doesn't seem too far out of whack - I'd bet that it's far better than what I've got on my current horn. You mentioned that you find that the tone is trying to be bigger than what the horn can support, but that a different mouthpiece might help that. That comment makes it sound like to me the horn lacks a center of tone, or that it sounds similar to a singer who places their tone in their throat instead of their mask. Is that accurate? I haven't noticed that in recordings I've listened to (or in the relatively short time I played an XO), but I do notice it seems to have a pretty bright sound.

Comment

• graeme
        • Jun 2009

Here is a link that may be of interest
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1wWSaTqPU

Comment

• kennethli
          • Jun 2018

Um What type of music do you play? What is your budget?
          Yamaha 642S Neo
          Romera brass PEPE signature MPC

Comment

• MikeS
            • Apr 2012

Here is a thread where Brandon Jones addresses the redesign:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...m#.XH1E_RpOmhA

According to Brandon, if the serial number starts with P or a letter further down the alphabet, it is the redesigned model.

Comment

• ChrisH
              • Aug 2018

Graeme, I had already found that video - cool stuff!

kenneth, I'm going into college next year as a music education major, and plan to add euphonium performance my sophomore year. As far as what kind of music I play... I assume the correct answer would be everything. Of course I'd be a part of at least one concert band, but I've also played in brass quartets, quintets, sextets, tuba euph quartets and ensembles, jazz ensembles (more on trombone, but there was some euph in there too), and even an orchestral part or two. As far as my budget goes, I don't have a particular budget. My options were limited to what I could find with decent financing (I haven't been in the workforce long enough to have cash built up), and 36 month 0% was by far the best I could find. From there, I was approved for $5500 on that card, and I went with the XO.

Thanks, Mike!

Comment

• Clayton M.
                • Aug 2018

Hi,

Last year, I switched from trumpet to euphonium in my community band. I didn’t want to borrow my friend’s horn for long term, since I decided I would be a regular in the section and I was able to find a good deal on a used XO. I have not had any issues so far. I have not had a real opportunity to stand out in the band via solo passages yet, but I really enjoy playing it. My time may come soon though; my band performed First Suite last year, and we all know what tends to follow...
                Clayton M.
                Musician for Fun
                Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
                Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Comment

• ChrisH
                  • Aug 2018

Thanks, Clayton! So, no issues with projection? I had heard that the XO doesn't really project its' sound very far, and tends to distort at a relatively low dynamic. That could just be this particular player, but it's one of my main concerns.

Comment

• Clayton M.
                    • Aug 2018

I’ll be honest, as a newbie euphonium player, I don’t have a lot of experience with that sort of thing. I’m still getting used to the amount of air with which I need, to fill the horn, when I play. I don’t think I sound as loud/strong as I did with the Yamaha 321 that I was borrowing, but I was attributing that to the smaller bore and my overall lack of “lung strength” for the larger horn.

I also forgot to mention that I also use the Steven Mead valve springs. You could say that I “sprung” for them.
                    Last edited by Clayton M.; 03-04-2019, 08:32 PM.
                    Clayton M.
                    Musician for Fun

Comment

• Clayton M.
                      • Aug 2018

It’s probably worth mentioning that I went through a number of mouthpieces before settling on a SM6. I don’t know if it’s my familiarity with trumpet that makes it easier for me to center a pitch with a smaller mouthpiece, but that is where I am for now. Maybe the compatibility with the horn is what made the difference. My XO arrived with an XO branded 5G, and I experimented with on-hand Shilke 47, Denis Wick 3AL, 4AL, and SM4XU.
                      Clayton M.
                      Musician for Fun

Comment

• ChrisH
                        • Aug 2018

Thanks Clayton!

I've tried various mouthpieces, and I've personally NEVER been able to get any Denis Wick to produce a good sound. It's either incredibly airy, dry, or simply very out of tune. Not sure why, but those problems don't persist on my usual Schilke 52E2, or even on the Bach 2G I use for bass trombone. Hopefully the instrument agrees with my mouthpiece, and my embouchure! I believe I was playing on a Yamaha mouthpiece when I tried out the XO, as that was the only one I had in my backpack at the time.

Comment

• ChrisH
                          • Aug 2018

My horn came in about 2 months early, so I received it today! So excited to have it so soon.

Shipping went well. No damage to the horn, case, or box. Speaking of the case, the case the horn came with is very nice. Feels durable, light, and has a nice blue velvet on the inside lining. Not sure how it'd hold up super long-term, but I do plan to get myself a gig bag for easier travel at some point in the near future. That said, I'd have no issue using this case.

The horn itself is absolutely gorgeous. I went with the lacquered model, and the base lacquer is a very nice gold with a lot of shine. There are silver accents on the valve slides, with some rose gold here and there - it's the best looking lacquered horn I think I've ever seen. I still prefer the silver look, but wow! Anyone got any tips on how to preserve lacquer? I'd like to keep it in nice condition, especially since this probably won't be my "forever horn".

I only got to play it for like 30 minutes in an 8x8' room before I had to go to work, but the horn seems to play nicely. I warmed up, and found that the tone is very colorful, and is much more pure than what I was getting on the Nirschl. Tuning isn't perfect, but no horn has perfect tuning, and it's a blessing compared to my old horn. The low range (low E down to low B) speaks incredibly well, with an easy dynamic range from p to f without any distortion. The middle range of the instrument seems to be settled nicely, but I didn't have much time to test that. The high range (high concert Bb and up) is much harder to obtain than I'm used to - but I'm also pretty sure this horn has larger tubing than my Nirschl did, so maybe that's got something to do with it. I can usually get a nice C#, but Bb's were iffy today on this horn. Might just be something I have to get used to.

Overall, so far, I'm impressed with the horn! I'll be spending most of Saturday just playing around with it and seeing what I can learn. I still have to switch in some Mead Springs and a Lefreque Plate, but I'm happy with it.

Comment

• John Morgan
                            • Apr 2014

Congrats on the new horn!! Just like Christmas every time someone gets a new one. As for maintaining lacquer, you might consider using a cloth to wrap around the horn as you hold it in your left hand/arm. I do this for mine. Just keeps you from getting the horn all sweaty. I have a Wessex that is lacquered, and I just wipe it off with a damp cloth every so often. It is really pretty easy to care for. As for preserving, basically the less you "touch" it, the longer it will stay looking new. But any lacquered horn will wear over time. Just very normal. My Wessex is three years old now, and the lacquer looks just fine.

I am not familiar with the Nirschl, but I suspect you are right, and that you might have a horn with a larger bore. I would think your high range will improve as you settle in on the horn. Playing scales starting on perhaps concert F in the clef up and down an octave, then go up chromatically until you are playing up to high Bb and perhaps a little beyond.

Enjoy your new horn!!
                            John Morgan
                            The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                            Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                            1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                            Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                            Year Round Except Summer:
                            Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                            KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                            Summer Only:
                            Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                            Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• DEF1
                              • Apr 2018

I don’t know much about the XO Euphonium but Algirdas Matonis plays one at the moment and there’s several videos of him playing it with the River City brass band.

Enjoy your new toy and I’m sure it will significantly out perform the Nirschl.
                              JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Comment

Working...
                              X