Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jupiter XO 1270... What should I look out for?

The Jupiter XO 1270... What should I look out for?

Hello! So, as I transition out of high school and into college, I've been wanting to upgrade my instrument. I currently play on a W. Nirschl I-800, and the horn has been great since 7th grade - my parents paid around $3000 for it (used, but on a monthly plan) and the only time it's ever been worked on is when I've damaged it by accident. It's got its' issues (severe tuning problems on the 5th and 6th partials, poorly made slides, and some questionable valve construction), but I got a great deal.

I originally wanted a Miraphone M5050 Ambassador, but seeing as those horns start around $9300, even with 36-month financing at 0% interest, I wasn't going to be able to comfortably swing it. I considered a M5000 Ambassador as well, but even at around $7200, I would have been pushing it. After quite a bit of looking around, I decided to go a bit lower-grade for now, and hopefully spring for a Miraphone (or a similar instrument) once I'm better off financially. I couldn't pass up 36 months at 0% financing, I really couldn't, so I decided to look into a Jupiter XO 1270. This was one of horns that was originally recommended to me (as a cheaper alternative to the Miraphone or Willson I wanted), and after looking around, I decided to go for it.

I couldn't find a ton of information on the redesigned XO euphs, so I was wondering if any of you have any personal experience with quirks the instrument might have. I've played one before, and the instrument felt good - I won't have any problem playing it from a comfort or preference standard, I don't think. Do the valves usually hold up well? Any issues with cheap valve guides? I'll be using Meade Springs, so no issue with stock springs. I'll be using a Schilke 52E2 for my mouthpiece. Any horrendous tuning problems that aren't found on other horns?

Basically, what're your opinions on this instrument in 2019? I've found a few older threads, and it seems to be a pretty split argument.

Welcome to the forum!

You can see what my intonation tests revealed here:

http://www.dwerden.com/Intonation/

You can also compare to other brands if you check more than one box.

Here is my mini-review of the XO I tried in 2014. When did the redesign occur? I am not up to speed on that.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...-XO-and-Wessex
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Apparently there was some sort of redesign, I believe before 2014 - I've seen it mentioned several times on forums, although I've not seen anything from Jupiter itself on it.

So, intonation doesn't seem too far out of whack - I'd bet that it's far better than what I've got on my current horn. You mentioned that you find that the tone is trying to be bigger than what the horn can support, but that a different mouthpiece might help that. That comment makes it sound like to me the horn lacks a center of tone, or that it sounds similar to a singer who places their tone in their throat instead of their mask. Is that accurate? I haven't noticed that in recordings I've listened to (or in the relatively short time I played an XO), but I do notice it seems to have a pretty bright sound.

4. Here is a link that may be of interest
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1wWSaTqPU

5. Um What type of music do you play? What is your budget?

6. Here is a thread where Brandon Jones addresses the redesign:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...m#.XH1E_RpOmhA

According to Brandon, if the serial number starts with P or a letter further down the alphabet, it is the redesigned model.

Graeme, I had already found that video - cool stuff!

kenneth, I'm going into college next year as a music education major, and plan to add euphonium performance my sophomore year. As far as what kind of music I play... I assume the correct answer would be everything. Of course I'd be a part of at least one concert band, but I've also played in brass quartets, quintets, sextets, tuba euph quartets and ensembles, jazz ensembles (more on trombone, but there was some euph in there too), and even an orchestral part or two. As far as my budget goes, I don't have a particular budget. My options were limited to what I could find with decent financing (I haven't been in the workforce long enough to have cash built up), and 36 month 0% was by far the best I could find. From there, I was approved for $5500 on that card, and I went with the XO.

Thanks, Mike!

Hi,

Last year, I switched from trumpet to euphonium in my community band. I didn’t want to borrow my friend’s horn for long term, since I decided I would be a regular in the section and I was able to find a good deal on a used XO. I have not had any issues so far. I have not had a real opportunity to stand out in the band via solo passages yet, but I really enjoy playing it. My time may come soon though; my band performed First Suite last year, and we all know what tends to follow...
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Thanks, Clayton! So, no issues with projection? I had heard that the XO doesn't really project its' sound very far, and tends to distort at a relatively low dynamic. That could just be this particular player, but it's one of my main concerns.

I’ll be honest, as a newbie euphonium player, I don’t have a lot of experience with that sort of thing. I’m still getting used to the amount of air with which I need, to fill the horn, when I play. I don’t think I sound as loud/strong as I did with the Yamaha 321 that I was borrowing, but I was attributing that to the smaller bore and my overall lack of “lung strength” for the larger horn.

I also forgot to mention that I also use the Steven Mead valve springs. You could say that I “sprung” for them.
    Last edited by Clayton M.; 03-04-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast