X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harry Hilgers
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by ametropia View Post
    I have the same problem, which leads me to raising my left leg where the horn sits until I'm on my tip toes, and resting my raised heel against the chair leg. Sounds uncomfortable but it works for and isn't terribly bad.
    Thanks for your reply and thanks for the solution that worked. I actually ended up using a 3" long 2x4 to rest my left heel on.
    That tilts the horn just enough to the left so I can see the conductor on the right side of the bell.
    It also lines up the mouthpiece just right with my chops.
    Cheers,
    Harry
    Last edited by Harry Hilgers; 03-02-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Harry Hilgers
      • Feb 2019

Thanks much for all your replies.
      As I mentioned in my previous post, resting the left heel on a short 2x4 did the trick.
      This also lines up the mouthpiece correctly with my chops.

Fortunately I do not have arthritis (yet) and still can "hold my weight" .
      However I do use a purpose made strap to secure the baritone onto my body.
      Less chance to drop the horn when using both hands to handle sheet music.

Thanks again for all your replies.

I figured that I would get many suggestions of which at least one will do the trick.
      I figured right .

Cheers,
      Harry

Comment

• Harry Hilgers
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        And if all else fails...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6691[/ATTACH]
        Good idea, so I thought. Tried it.
        I could see the conductor just fine, but had no eyes left to read the music and I forgot to memorize the tunes ....

Comment

• Harry Hilgers
          • Feb 2019

I love, love, love 3-valve comp horns, my Baritone and my Euphonium are both this, and I've no interest in a 4th valve at all.
          I am not interested in a 4th valve either.

That all being said, a compensated horn is in no way a magic bullet for not playing in tune or solving intonation issues.
          So true, but I am not looking for a magic bullet. Just looking for a horn that meets me more towards halfway than the King

[QUOTE=ametropia;149689] .....within reason, I mean some horns are just impossible

Right

Thanks again for your suggestions. They have been very useful.

Cheers,
          Harry

Comment

• Harry Hilgers
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
            So that's a down-sized 3-valve non-compensating euphonium designed specifically for middle school students. Probably not your ideal choice.
            Thanks much for both your replies.

During our last rehearsal we had a guest Baritone Horn player. He played a "3/4" style Baritone like this Click image for larger version

Name:	Kanstul BARITONE-390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	117477

His was a Yamaha. He said it was indeed a student horn that he bought on the cheap from a high school band somewhere in Oklahoma.
            Of course I consider my King 625 also a student horn. Even though it was brand new, I also bought it on the cheap.
            Also with this particular merchant I could use my no longer needed Eb cornet for a fair priced trade in.

Now saving $$$$ for that Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Series Bb Baritone Horn.

Comment

• hyperbolica
              • Feb 2018

How about goodgigs tranparent bell?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	file.php?avatar=500_1481154549.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	117478

Comment

• ghmerrill
                • Dec 2011

We have better technology than that: a mini-camera mounted to the front of the bell with a suitable display on the rear of the bell (attached to an adjustable mechanism so it can be correctly positioned for the individual player's preferences). Better, perhaps: a totally wearable set of goggles that show both the conductor and the music -- perhaps with the music overlayed on top of the conductors image so it can be seen through the music. I can almost feel a patent here.
                Gary Merrill
                Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

Working...
                X