Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good instrument for playing low

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Schilke 60 might work too. I know that Walter Barrett (Yamaha artist in NY area) uses or used one on his YEP-641.
    And Walter still uses his Doug Elliott with a 114 rim, which is the same diameter as the Schilke 60. I sit in Walter's section for a summer concert band, and it is remarkable how he has such even tone up to the altissimo range with that size mouthpiece.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    [snip] You can get the range. What you're not going to get is the booming tone quality or the volume in that low register.
    I second that. One year in my community orchestra I was playing the bass trombone parts on my euphonium. As he says, I got the notes but not the required tone (and I don't think my compensating range intonation is as good as that of a good bass trombonist).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Dave W. (#4) speaks the truth. I can make the multi-valve notes just above pedal Bb sound, but I have to set my chops and breath support in order to do it (Dolce, and previously an Elite). Fortunately, those notes are rarely used, and not at all (in my limited experience) in fast passages. I do play them a lot, but only in warmups and scales.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12