X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hyperbolica
    • Feb 2018

Good instrument for playing low

I'm a trombone player, and sometimes like to play euphonium. Is there a particular model that has a better low range than others? Not interested in a tuba (want to stay in Bb, but don't want a contrabass), but might use a euph in the pitch range where you might use a bass bone - say below the staff, down to pedal F or maybe lower. Any suggestions? Don't need anything super exotic.
  • lzajmom
    • Feb 2019

I'm the new kid here, but I'll hazard a guess at what the pros will say: a compensating euphonium will give you the better lower range, and a Wessex Dolce is a great compensating euphonium for the price. I'll be following to see how close I got. I too am interested to learn whether there is a particular compensating euphonium that is especially good in the lower register.
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Comment

• John the Theologian
      • Apr 2013

I play both a Mack Brass compensating euphonium and a single trigger Yamaha bass bone and the bass bone is easier in the low range. Maybe it's because I play it with a bigger mouthpiece, but even if put a bass bone mp in my euphonium, I stll don't have the quality of sound inlow range that the bass bone has. Bass bones were designed to favor the low range and I was amazed how true that was when I first got the horn a few months ago.

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

In general, ANY compensating euphonium will probably feel stuffier than you would like. The newest examples of these are much improved over older compensating euphoniums, but when you get down to the range between low Db and low B-natural, there is quite a bit of resistance. If you want a compensating horn, I'd go for a newer model. The Adams, Miraphone, Besson, Yamaha, and Willson brands all offer fine models in this regard, but you are in the $7-9,000 range.

The better clones are pretty good for response and much cheaper.

A King 2280 has very fine low register response, but it is non-compensating. That leaves you with a low Eb that is either sharp or flat, depending on the fingering you use, and no good low B-natural options.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• ghmerrill
          • Dec 2011

For about half a year I played the bass bone parts in a community band on my Mack Brass compensating euph. I have regularly played the tuba (usually Tuba 1) parts in Tuba Christmas on that horn, and also in Octubafest. With the right mouthpiece and practice you can easily play in the bass tuba range (an octave below the staff). It won't sound exactly like a tuba or exactly like a bass trombone, but it works well.

Make sure you get a "large bore" euph (like most are nowadays -- and this includes Mack Brass, Wessex, Sterling, generic Jin Bao, Schiller, Besson, Adams, etc.). With the fourth valve in play, that horn is basically a small bore 3-valve F tuba.

Below pedal F? Get a tuba.
          Gary Merrill
          Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
          Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
          Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
          1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
          Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
          1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• Snorlax
            • Mar 2007

Look for a Yamaha Roger Bobo tenor tuba mouthpiece.
            It's for tubists to use on euph. It's rather pricey IIRC
            Or just get a Bach 1 1/2 G.
            Any modern compensating euph will play those notes, but they will be
            rather stuffy and somewhat slow to respond, so you will need to anticipate a bit.
            Jim
            Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
            Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
            bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
            Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
            Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
            Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
            www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

Schilke 60 might work too. I know that Walter Barrett (Yamaha artist in NY area) uses or used one on his YEP-641.
              Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
              ​

Comment

• hyperbolica
                • Feb 2018

Thanks for the responses. I'll try a Wessex or Mack Brass compensator with a big mouthpiece. Thanks again.

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

I used to regularly play tuba parts in tuba range in the local community band. I keep a Bach 1 1/2G around for that. Also, I have played bass trombone parts in trombone quintets using my euphonium with some success.
                  Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• ghmerrill
                    • Dec 2011

Just for another, and deviant, perspective ...

I'd never use something as large as a 1.5G on the euph. I just don't need anything that large to play the tuba parts or bass trombone parts I've encountered with it. I've tried by DE bass trombone mouthpiece on the euph and for me it's "too big" (it's about the size of a large 1.5 or a small 1.25). My DE euph mouthpiece (see below in the sig) works fine -- thought it's probably considerably bigger than most people use to play genuine euph parts.

I have NEVER got a euph to play in tune with a Schilke 60. Some people apparently can do this. I suspect this is because they have absolutely bodacious embouchures -- which I don't. (In all honestly I can't get a bass trombone to play in tune with a Schilke 60. ) The 60 always plays distinctly flat for me in a euph. But you have to go with what works for you. You don't need a huge mouthpiece to make a euph work like a small tuba. You can get the range. What you're not going to get is the booming tone quality or the volume in that low register.
                    Gary Merrill
                    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• dsurkin
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                      Schilke 60 might work too. I know that Walter Barrett (Yamaha artist in NY area) uses or used one on his YEP-641.
                      And Walter still uses his Doug Elliott with a 114 rim, which is the same diameter as the Schilke 60. I sit in Walter's section for a summer concert band, and it is remarkable how he has such even tone up to the altissimo range with that size mouthpiece.
                      Dean L. Surkin
                      Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                      Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                      Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                      See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• dsurkin
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
                        [snip] You can get the range. What you're not going to get is the booming tone quality or the volume in that low register.
                        I second that. One year in my community orchestra I was playing the bass trombone parts on my euphonium. As he says, I got the notes but not the required tone (and I don't think my compensating range intonation is as good as that of a good bass trombonist).
                        Dean L. Surkin
                        Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                        Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                        Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                        See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• DaveBj
                          • Oct 2011

Dave W. (#4) speaks the truth. I can make the multi-valve notes just above pedal Bb sound, but I have to set my chops and breath support in order to do it (Dolce, and previously an Elite). Fortunately, those notes are rarely used, and not at all (in my limited experience) in fast passages. I do play them a lot, but only in warmups and scales.
                          David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                          2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                          2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                          2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                          Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                          Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

Working...
                          X