Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brief Teachings of Arnold Jacobs

Performance tip:

Don’t prepare yourself to play your instrument. Instead, prepare the sound in your head. … We should not concern ourselves with the physical details of playing a brass instrument but concentrate instead on how we want the instrument to sound. … How our embouchures feel is not important, just how they sound. My lips haven’t felt good in years, but I can still fool the audience.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. This is so timely for me as just this week I started to read Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind by Brian Frederiksen. I recommend the book to anyone desiring to know more about Jacobs and his ideas.
    Last edited by jeffn60; 07-07-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Today is a two-for-one day! Two good quotes below:

When taking in an inhalation, I want the concept of air moving into the mouth at the lips, not into the abdomen. ...Breathing is not a complex subject. It shouldn’t be a method. You want to take a breath, take a breath. Suck air at the lips.

========

The study of any art form is the study of the mind – of the individual – the creative process. But for any musician who plays a brass instrument it is so important. Your pitch source is part of you – controlled in one way or another by your nervous system and your mind. The instrument has no brain. The player has to put the pitch into the instrument and have it resonated. We have to send in a frequency that the tube length can respond to. That frequency comes from our thoughts, as if we were singing with our voice, but we use our lips instead.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12