Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions of my new silver Wessex Dolce

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Dave's video is good and useful. I had problems with my Wessex Dolce, particularly the 2nd valve cap. What I do that works excellently for me is I put the valve in, press down on the top finger cap until it is sitting right on top of the valve cap I need to screw in. Just gently on top, and all while holding the instrument completely upright. I then turn the valve cap gently as if unscrewing it until I feel or hear a slight click. This tells me it is ready and positioned/aimed correctly for screwing in. Then I screw it in. This has been working every time for me. I used to take two minutes to get this cap on, even using methods like Dave describes. It just would not get in the right position to screw in.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thank you John for the tip

I found that applying slide grease to caps threads is also helpful, and complementary to the techniques already described by John and David.

G.
    Last edited by guidocorona; 04-03-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I received my Wessex dolce last Wednesday and haven’t had a single problem with the valve caps. Even threaded them on the first try with my left hand! I’ll post a review in a week or so...but suffice it to say that I am very delighted with the purchase, and have been bathing and caring for her properly.
    “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” -Robert Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I had problems with my Wessex Dolce, particularly the 2nd valve cap.
    Again -- and I've mentioned this in other threads -- why is the reported incidence of these problems so much higher with the 2nd valve? From my perspective this is eerily disturbing. Like ... is there only ONE guy who works on 2nd valves on the Wessex instruments and "screws things up"? How is he getting these problems past the inspection step? Can't he be replaced?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Any valve oil recommendations for the Wessex Dolce?

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Again -- and I've mentioned this in other threads -- why is the reported incidence of these problems so much higher with the 2nd valve? From my perspective this is eerily disturbing. Like ... is there only ONE guy who works on 2nd valves on the Wessex instruments and "screws things up"? How is he getting these problems past the inspection step? Can't he be replaced?
    Well, I did get my Wessex Dolce over three years ago, so maybe things have changed a bit since. My Wessex Bombino tuba has the same quirk in that the 2nd valve is the really testy one, and I got that a little over a year ago. It's a mystery why it seems to be a problem more with the 2nd valve. This seems to be a useful thesis or dissertation topic.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Hello kennyg48,

I have been using Ultrapure on the valves of my Wessex Festivo EP104 since last July with seemingly good results... The oil does not appear to dry up particularly quickly, and the valves have been steadily becoming quieter and faster.

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/

At some future I might try one of the variants of Monster oil... E.g. the version designed for Adams horns, which is formulated with a small percentage of silicon, and is said to be particularly long lasting.

http://www.monsteroil.net/shop-all/

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 04-04-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Well, I did get my Wessex Dolce over three years ago, so maybe things have changed a bit since. My Wessex Bombino tuba has the same quirk in that the 2nd valve is the really testy one, and I got that a little over a year ago. It's a mystery why it seems to be a problem more with the 2nd valve. This seems to be a useful thesis or dissertation topic.
    I don't see any reason why the threads would be different on the 2nd casing. But I COULD see that maybe the placement causes us humans to hold things slightly differently. When you thread the cap on, your angle is more limited for the 2nd valve because of needing finger room, right? You are constrained on both side of 2, but only on 1 side or 1 or 3 - I think. (I don't have my horn here right now to test that theory.) Maybe something really subtle is different and it is our fingers that causes the problem more on 2 than on 1 or 3.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. Quote Originally Posted by kennyg48 View Post
    Any valve oil recommendations for the Wessex Dolce?
    Wessex uses Resilience Valve Oil #1 Light. This oil suppresses build up of deposit on the stainless steel valves with a chemical coating

https://www.resilienceoils.com/produ...lve-oil-1-thin
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 04-03-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast