Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: First impressions of my new silver Wessex Dolce

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    While conceding the intended purpose of the 4th valve lock, it should be noted that an "off label" use of it is to turn your euphonium into a small bore 3-valve F tuba.
    . . . which I have occasionally done
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Did the stem get bent? That would be easy to see by watching the stem's position within the hole in the valve cap as you press down and let up the piston. If not, then your issue may be slightly different.

I suppose it is possible that by storing the horn with the 4th valve halfway down, some deposits could form in the cylinder in the middle of the travel path of the piston. A good cleaning should take care of that.

Unless you bent the stem or have deposits on the cylinder wall, I don't think you hurt anything by that one instance. In my own case, I've used Adams euphonium exclusively since 2012, but in the Bonna case and in a gig bag. Zero problems with the 4th valve, including after some periods of the horn just sitting for a number of days. That's not to say it couldn't be damaged; but I have not used "kid gloves" in handling the horn - just normal care. Knock on wood, I guess - no damage to the 4th valve.
    Good one, sir. The stem wasn't bent, as the difficult part was in the middle of the cylinder. So maybe my issue was a slightly different one. Ended up having to send it to a technician to have to fixed.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910