Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions of my new silver Wessex Dolce

Indeed! It will be awhile before I even think about upgrading...unless I find a good one from one of my Marine Corps buddies. But it’s all good! I’m excited for it to finally get here!
    “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” -Robert Hughes

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorAtrain View Post
    Ok, it is official.
    I just purchased the gold brass Wessex Dolce. Wick 4AL mpc, two bottles of blue juice, hetmans #7 slide gel, and a HW brass saver brush kit.
    I was going to get the silver and gold, but found that you had mentioned that someone had mentioned that the gold wears off...no bueno.
    But I’ve mostly ever played on silver euph’s before...so I figured I’d give the lacquered one a try.
    Besides, this is just my first one anyway...
    Congratulations! Looks to me like a good choice with ample supplies. Enjoy your new horn. Will be interested in hearing your comments.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks John!
    I can’t believe I used to get paid to play, and now I feel like such a newbie! I picked up a student Yamaha today from the community college with a Bach mp and while it seems my lips still have some muscle memory and such, it’s still super rough and they wear out after just a short time! I got my work cut out for me!
    “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” -Robert Hughes

4. Quote Originally Posted by PastorAtrain View Post
    Thanks John!
    I can’t believe I used to get paid to play, and now I feel like such a newbie! I picked up a student Yamaha today from the community college with a Bach mp and while it seems my lips still have some muscle memory and such, it’s still super rough and they wear out after just a short time! I got my work cut out for me!
    Yes, preeeach! (I was going to say that even before I remembered your handle.) I never got paid to play, but it used to be so easy and natural to make music on my old horn. After all these years, it was like my mind remembered what to do, and my heart remembered the joy it had been, but my mouth just couldn't do it. It was really frustrating!

Now it's been a little more than a month, and the familiarity and ability finally started to come back this week. I only get to play a few times a week, but I imagine someone who could play every day would get there a lot faster! My stamina was only about 10-15 minutes at first, but now I can play more than an hour before I start to feel fatigued, and at least 75 minutes before I really get "shot." Yesterday I played three full octaves of the Bb scale and it actually wasn't atrocious.

You'll get there! I'm really happy for you and I hope you love your Wessex!
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

That's funny...people call me preach anyway!

I would like to thank Dave, John, Jonathan and many others on this forum for their invaluable information that they have provided on the Dolce Euphlnium. After extensive research I am almost at the point considering purchasing this instrument. The two questions I have are as follows:

a. Decision regarding whether to purchase the Lacquer, Silver or Silver/Gold (which looks great) finish.
    b. Has the cross threading issue of the valve caps been resolved yet.

Thanks once again for the invaluable resource this forum provides

Kenny
    Cape Town ,South Africa

7. Quote Originally Posted by kennyg48 View Post
    I would like to thank Dave, John, Jonathan and many others on this forum for their invaluable information that they have provided on the Dolce Euphlnium. After extensive research I am almost at the point considering purchasing this instrument. The two questions I have are as follows:

a. Decision regarding whether to purchase the Lacquer, Silver or Silver/Gold (which looks great) finish.
    b. Has the cross threading issue of the valve caps been resolved yet.

Thanks once again for the invaluable resource this forum provides

Kenny
    Cape Town ,South Africa
    For finish my recommendation would be silver-plated as the most durable (gold looks great new, but does wear over time, as gold is a soft metal). As you are in South Africa where it gets hot, sweat is more likely to remove lacquer over time.

For the valve threading issue, it has I would say been fixed in that in recent quality assurance, I could replace caps on one hundred instruments without problems on any. Not to say you could not cross-thread if you put on at an angle, but if you follow the method explained by Dave Werden, you should have no problems.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    For finish my recommendation would be silver-plated as the most durable (gold looks great new, but does wear over time, as gold is a soft metal). As you are in South Africa where it gets hot, sweat is more likely to remove lacquer over time.

For the valve threading issue, it has I would say been fixed in that in recent quality assurance, I could replace caps on one hundred instruments without problems on any. Not to say you could not cross-thread if you put on at an angle, but if you follow the method explained by Dave Werden, you should have no problems.
    Thank you Jonathsn for your prompt response

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    ...but if you follow the method explained by Dave Werden, you should have no problems.
    As a reminder, here is the video Jonathan refers to, where I explain my own favorite way to handle valve caps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMzkgQQtSw
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    As a reminder, here is the video Jonathan refers to, where I explain my own favorite way to handle valve caps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMzkgQQtSw
    Thanks Dave I saw your video over the weekend, much appreciated

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast