Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions of my new silver Wessex Dolce

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    ….I just ordered a bottle of the #1 oil (apparently the #3 and the rotor oil aren't yet available)and the "F-1 Kick Gel" that I want to try on my 1924 tuba.
    Let us know how it goes, Gary. I almost ordered it, too, but have been using Monster for a little while with pretty good results, so did not want to make the leap just yet. If the stuff you get really delivers, I will surely get some.

I guess you are going to use the Kick Gel for your slide that you pull on the fly when playing? I wonder how that would work on my main tuning slide which has a trigger (the Adams horn). I might have to spring for some of that because I haven't found the right thing for that yet (I must admit I have not tried or looked very hard yet, either).
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I guess you are going to use the Kick Gel for your slide that you pull on the fly when playing? I wonder how that would work on my main tuning slide which has a trigger (the Adams horn). I might have to spring for some of that because I haven't found the right thing for that yet (I must admit I have not tried or looked very hard yet, either).
    Yeah, my 3rd valve kick slide on the Buescher. This isn't a high priority issue for me since I now just use synthetic oil on it and it's okay. But I wonder if this "gel" might work better. I also haven't yet tried just putting something like SuperSlick Plus on it (maybe with some water/Hetman Hydroslide), as you would with a trombone handslide. I wonder if this gel is similar to the legendary Yamasnot. I also haven't tried that on my kick slide, but should, since I have a bottle of it around here.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I am impressed with Jonathan Hodgetts (Wessex-Tuba) for his excellent customer service. I ordered a silver Dolce last Tuesday (02 April) and received my horn in Cape Town today (Monday 08 April). This is the first time that I have seen the Dolce up close. I am impressed with the good solid feel of the horn.

I can also add that so far, I have had no issues with the re-screwing of the valves, including the infamous no 2. valve :-). The silver finish also looks good and so far have not seen anything that has raised concern.

During my tenure as principal euphonium player of the South African Navy Band I was fortunate to play a Besson Sovereign 967 as well as a Yamaha 842. As I no longer play in the Navy band, I was looking to purchase an euphonium that would not only break the bank but more importantly, be an instrument that would be great to play on. The decision to purchase the Dolce was made easier with the invaluable input from this forum.

Thank you

4. Pleased you are enjoying the Dolce and our service experience was good (we do try). I hope you get lots of good playing from the euphonium.

On the silver-plated, Wessex horns now get 6-times more polishing than standard Jinbao production and the silver is 3 times as thick. I am pleased with how the quality is improving, although are still working to get better still.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    On the silver-plated, Wessex horns now get 6-times more polishing than standard Jinbao production and the silver is 3 times as thick. I am pleased with how the quality is improving, although are still working to get better still.
    Do you find that there are issues with turnover in the Jinbao factory that prevent those who craft your instruments from becoming masters of said craft?
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ Parker 4G Houser)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY) and 10 piece ensemble (Getzen 1052FD bass trombone w/ Bach 1G)

6. Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    Do you find that there are issues with turnover in the Jinbao factory that prevent those who craft your instruments from becoming masters of said craft?
    Most Jinbao production is through a production line. Worker just completes one process and passes on. I think some of the more boring or hard processes do have a regular staff turnover. However Wessex tubas, euphonium and trombones are now uniquely being made in the new high-grade workshop (we have 3 floors and 20 craftsmen just for Wessex production). Those are the best and most skilled and all have worked for the company for some years and follow through the whole process of production (one craftsman or woman is responsible for making whole instrument). Something Chuck Nickles also does at factory is train those high-skilled workers of the best techniques as used in German factories, so they get ever more proficient. They also really care about the instruments they are manufacturing. Both ours and the high-grade workshop’s aim is to make the best brass instruments in the world. We may not be quite there in all aspects yet, but are making steady and continuous improvement. German factories need look out - Wessex is catching them up quickly!
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

I recently bought the gold brass Wessex Dolce. I ordered it on March 25, and it arrived at my house (in the western U.S.), on March 28. Life in the 21st Century is good.

I am very happy with the instrument. I don't have a lot with which to compare it, because I have not played a euphonium for about 45 years. I have been a tubist. I chose the gold brass because I wanted the warmer sound, and it is what I am used to.

I have had no trouble with the valve caps. I do lubricate them with Ultra Pure's linkage oil--which is what I used for the external moving parts of my rotary tuba, including lower valve caps.

One thing I read about new horns that made sense, was to thoroughly clean them before playing. After a little (I mean, who could resist?) out-of-the-box playing, I disassembled the horn, put it in the bathtub, and cleaned it. Dried it overnight, then carefully lubricated the whole thing. I have had absolutely no trouble with valves, slides, anything.

I love playing my Wessex Dolce, and wish I were playing it, whenever I am not.

Re Resilience Oils. I received my F-1 Kick Gell and my #1 Valve Oil. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but the Kick Oil looks like a genuine possibility.

However, I won't be using the #1 Valve Oil. Although it may be a "true synthetic" oil, it has a very distinct odor of kerosene to it. Very much like ultrarefined lamp oil but not as pronounced. Since a major attraction to me of synthetic oils (and in particular the Yamaha valve oils I use) is the absence of any odor, I'll be sticking with those for the musical instruments. The Kick Oil has no discernible odor to it.
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

I got some of the regular oil, unmarked with grade. I guess it's #2, the original formulation? I don't detect any odor from it, and I'm usually pretty sensitive. I like the bottle which is easy to apply from without using too much or getting it everywhere. It also doesn't appear to stain clothing. But the #2 is too thick for any of my instruments, it really makes the valves sluggish. I use yamaha "regular" grade synthetic currently which is fine even on new "tight tolerance" instruments, but the resilience #2 seems to be as thick or thicker than the yamaha "vintage" grade. I've been playing one instrument I applied it to every day for a week without re-applying oil as an experiment and it still works OK with no sticking, just a little slow because of the viscosity. So I'm impressed with it in that respect, because I usually have to apply every time I play, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I get the #1.

I've ordered some of the #1 but I'm still waiting to get it.
    --
    Barry

I shot them a query about the odor. Different people have different sensitivities to such things. However, my wife is recovering from a sinus procedure and still unable to smell things normally, and when I asked her if she could smell anything from a sample (without telling her what it was) she said "It smells like oil of some sort." We'll see what they say.

In terms of the applicator, it's not bad -- much like my Yamaha bottles. But I've gotten to the point where I put all of my instrument oils into needle oilers. Otherwise, trying to oil rotary valves drives me nuts, and it doesn't hurt to have them for piston valves. The worst bottle I ever had for oiling was the Denis Wick oil that came with my Wessex tuba about six years ago. I found it impossible to get it to emit individual drops. It never dripped; it poured.
    Gary Merrill

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast