Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions of my new silver Wessex Dolce

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I don't see any reason why the threads would be different on the 2nd casing. But I COULD see that maybe the placement causes us humans to hold things slightly differently. When you thread the cap on, your angle is more limited for the 2nd valve because of needing finger room, right? You are constrained on both side of 2, but only on 1 side or 1 or 3 - I think. (I don't have my horn here right now to test that theory.) Maybe something really subtle is different and it is our fingers that causes the problem more on 2 than on 1 or 3.
    Well, I sort of tested that theory just now. I needed to oil my valves on the Wessex Dolce, so I just did. I unscrew the top three valve caps, oil each of the valves, then screw the valve caps back on doing the 3rd valve first, then the 2nd valve, then the 1st valve. I hold the horn totally upright. When screwing on any of the caps, nothing on either side interferes with my process, I have sufficient room to screw on each all alike. But, I use my aforementioned method and it goes swimmingly. I frankly think the 2nd valve thing is just a fluke. I agree that there doesn't seem to be much of a reason that the 2nd valve would cause way more problems in screwing on the valve caps than the 1st or 3rd.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

2. Quote Originally Posted by kennyg48 View Post
    Any valve oil recommendations for the Wessex Dolce?
    I went with Blue Juice upon Dave's recommendation, and I've been very happy with it (except for the flavor). I was not happy with the oil that came with it, but that could be more about the breaking-in period or something related to shipping than the oil itself. I'm doubtful about the shipping aspect though, since that sucker arrived at my door less than 48 hours after I ordered.
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Thank you for the valve oil recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Maybe something really subtle is different and it is our fingers that causes the problem more on 2 than on 1 or 3.
    In the cases I'm familiar with (my own and others), the problem is evident from the beginning and so doesn't develop as a result of wear. I think it's also not restricted to Wessex. The suggestion of taking this as a thesis topic is fine, but I think it will really require an international investigative commission. I would be happy to serve on such a commission -- assuming that an appropriate compensation agreement could be reached; but I'd strongly prefer that it be headquartered in Basel, purely for the purposes of international neutrality, of course.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    Wessex uses Resilience Valve Oil #1 Light. This oil suppresses build up of deposit on the stainless steel valves with a chemical coating

https://www.resilienceoils.com/produ...lve-oil-1-thin
    I hadn't heard of this oil, but since seeing this post I've been looking at their web site and some of the reviews on other forums and it sounds very impressive. I've ordered a bottle and will report back!
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I hadn't heard of this oil, but since seeing this post I've been looking at their web site and some of the reviews on other forums and it sounds very impressive. I've ordered a bottle and will report back!
    Looks like this company only ships within the USA

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I'm anxious to hear how it works out for you!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Hmm, I read up on the Resilience Valve oil. I, too, will be very interested to hear your feedback, Barry. I am currently using Monster Oil, specifically "Doc's Juice", which according to the Monster Oil dudes, is actually the same as what came with my Adams (It was Monster Oil made for the Adams). This oil has something extra in it from their other Monster Oils (and costs a buck more!). So far, I am pretty darn happy with it. What I am looking for is a synthetic that will not give me the gunk buildup.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    ...What I am looking for is a synthetic that will not give me the gunk buildup.
    And THAT is why I'm interested, too!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yes, this looks quite good on paper (or, rather, on the screen). I note with some amusement that they are using one of the same marketing pitches that Yamaha is with its "Superior" line of synthetic oils: that the molecular structure of the purely synthetic oils endows them with advantages in adhering to surfaces and not drying out. It's all about "molecular stability". I'm sure that we can all get behind this movement.

Really, the explanation of the oil chemistry on their "Difference in Oils" page makes complete sense and lays out the real differences between the synthetic and petroleum oils.

This is obviously a fairly new company -- and their web pages aren't even complete yet, and they're only selling directly and through a few local music shops. The ordering process is currently pretty clunky, and navigating to and from the cart and adding items to an order is a little painful. The checkout process is also a bit wonky: check all the details before you actually confirm the order. I had it do some goofy things when I edited some of the fields I'd entered.

I just ordered a bottle of the #1 oil (apparently the #3 and the rotor oil aren't yet available)and the "F-1 Kick Gel" that I want to try on my 1924 tuba.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast