Thread: Tim Morrison - Trumpet

Tim Morrison - Trumpet

I mentioned Tim Morrison (trumpet) in another thread. If you're not familiar with this wonderful trumpet soloist here's a short video of Mr. Morrison playing "Summon the Heroes" (John Williams) with the U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own):

Summon the Heroes Solo Featuring Tim Morrison:
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Wonderful.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

3. A while ago I bought a trumpet just to mess around with, but have decided it isn't for me (currently for sale on Ebay). Mostly I dislike that feeling that the higher I go, the more likely it is that my head is going to explode. Since then I have found it interesting that with even the best trumpet players, it still looks as if an explosion is imminent. I give them credit for enduring the discomfort of bulging veins and red faces for the sake of making beautiful music. As for me, I will stick to euph.

I should have added some of Tim's bio in the original post:

Tim served as the Principal Trumpet of the Boston Pops Orchestra from 1987-1997 and appeared frequently with the orchestra as a soloist for concerts, television broadcasts and recordings. He was a favorite soloist of Pops Conductor Laureate John Williams, who has said, “he has an American sound and his sound is very touching, very beautiful. There is real serenity in his playing…” This appreciation has led John Williams and other noted Hollywood composers to feature Tim on their filmscores. To date, he has been credited as soloist on the following filmscores…Born on the 4th of July, JFK, Apollo 13, Panther, Nixon, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Bobby and Lions to Lambs. That same appreciation also led John Williams to dedicate “Summon the Heroes” to Tim, written by Williams for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta.

A native of Portland Oregon, Tim began his studies with Fred Sautter, the former principal trumpet of the Oregon Symphony. He is a graduate of the New England Conservatory of Music, where he was a student of former Boston Symphony principal trumpeters Roger Voisin and Armando Ghitalla. Tim joined the Boston Symphony in 1980 and ended his first tenure in 1984 to tour and record with the renown Empire Brass, performing in over 100 concerts a year. He returned to the BSO in 1987 as Associate Principal, a post he held for the next ten years. He was heard frequently in recital, and is still in demand internationally as a clinician, having been invited to work with students in Japan, Spain, Venezuela, Canada, Switzerland and the United States.

Tim has served on the faculties of Boston University, Boston Conservatory and the New England Conservatory of Music, where he was the recipient of an Outstanding Alumnus Award in 1991.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Quote Originally Posted by daniel76309 View Post
    A while ago I bought a trumpet just to mess around with, but have decided it isn't for me (currently for sale on Ebay). Mostly I dislike that feeling that the higher I go, the more likely it is that my head is going to explode. Since then I have found it interesting that with even the best trumpet players, it still looks as if an explosion is imminent. I give them credit for enduring the discomfort of bulging veins and red faces for the sake of making beautiful music. As for me, I will stick to euph.
    With an experience very similar to yours, those are my thoughts exactly!
    Wonderful performance, though.
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"