Thread: Concierto de Aranjuez - Rodrigo

Concierto de Aranjuez - Rodrigo

We're doing this beautiful piece by Rodrigo (arr. by Daniel Drage) at our next concert. Full name is Adagio from "Concierto de Aranjuez". It's just the brass so it's not a wind band arrangement per se.

I've been listening to the Grimethorpe Colliery Band (who recorded the sound track for Brassed Off). I know the style of British Brass bands is using a constant fairly fast vibrato. Some call it the 'nanny-goat' vibrato. I'm not a big fan of that style myself. I found the excellent recording by the BBBC (Brass Band of Battle Creek). Someone shared this recording from their CD, "BBBC Live-2" on YouTube. It was recorded in 2002. Personally I like the BBBC style better. Not sure who the soloist was but since Tim Morrison was on the CD I think it's him. Tim Morrison has a full rich tone. Love his playing on "Born of the Fourth of July" (so so movie, excellent music by John Williams).

Which of the recordings below do you prefer?

1-Grimethorpe Colliery Band - Adagio from "Concierto de Aranjuez":

2-Brass Band of Battle Creek version:
    Last edited by RickF; 02-21-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I fell in love with that one when I first saw Brassed Off! Despite the poor play-acting of playing the instruments. Haha!

I like the background on the BBBC recording particularly the articulation of the supporting line, and although I enjoyed the tone of the soloist, I did not care for the interpretation (tenuto). Perhaps I am biased, since I am such a fan of the recording on the Brassed Off! Soundtrack.
    Last edited by Clayton M.; 02-21-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Hmm.... Good question. I listened to both and enjoyed both very much. If I didn't know what instrument was being played on the Grimethorpe recording, I might think it was a saxophone, perhaps a soprano or alto. Now, that might partly be the recording or my speakers, but with the BBBC recording, it was much clearer that this was a brass instrument. I suspect the style of the solo with BBBC might not be what one would mostly hear coming out of the top brass bands in Great Britain, but I have to say that for my own tastes and for simply what I liked or thought sounded better, I would go with the BBBC recording. It was richer, fuller, lush, and just really sweet. What I expect a flugelhorn to sound like.

Rick mentioned "nanny-goat" vibrato. When I first heard the Childs brothers live at Ft Myer in 1990 (+ or - 1), I absolutely LOVED their vibrato. It was indeed "faster" than what I was used to or what I did, but it sounded wonderful to me. I don't think, and didn't think then, that it was "nanny-goat" sounding on their euphoniums, but some in the audience probably did. I know Arthur Lehman's student didn't like their sound, and I thought he was absolutely crackers (nuts). It is probably more "nanny-goat" sounding on the higher brass instruments.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-21-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)