Thread: Live Music Therapy- Has anyone used a euphonium?

Live Music Therapy- Has anyone used a euphonium?

Note- this is NOT a “music therapy” related question. Music Therapy is a different field from Bedside Therapy, which is offered live at the bedside or living area of the client.

Having been listening to a lot of euphonium solos recently on YouTube and elsewhere, the thought has occurred to me that played softly, the tone, timbre, and range of the instrument would make it a natural as asource of hospital or nursing home or hospice live music.

I’d started an online training program a while ago, and have the theory part almost finished. Could simple melodies played quietly in a hospital setting work with a brass instrument?
    Has anyone heard of this, or tried it?

Never thought about it, but the euphonium (and maybe the flugelhorn) make sense to fit for this use. Very interesting idea.

Playing a brass instrument 'quietly' can be difficult. Not sure that would work in a hospital.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I think it would be a very hard sell in a hospital environment (with which I'm unfortunately pretty familiar through treatment of family members). I can't even imagine working the details of what would be necessary in terms of state/federal regulation and hospital policy to accomplish what I think you're suggesting. The only time I've seen anything like this was when I saw a string trio (two violins and violas) play some pieces on a cardiac surgery floor -- and then it was privately arranged for the patient, and the door to his room was closed during the performance. It might work in some upscale private hospitals. But in something like a large teaching hospital with teams of doctors and support people roaming on rounds constantly up and down the hallways, conferencing both in hallways and in patients' rooms, etc., ... I'm not seeing it.

Nursing homes, hospices, long term care, and rehabilitation facilities MIGHT be reasonable targets. But I'd investigate the genuine possibilities and requirements before developing anything further. It's not an "if I build it, they will come" sort of situation.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I don't see it with euphonium, at least not in a patient-room application. But there may be a route for presenting a therapy recital in a larger room, where patients could be brought as a group.

For in-room use, I COULD see a baritone horn with a cup mute. The baritone already has a smaller sound, and a cup mute would make for a pleasant in-room experience.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/mike_mc...e_baritone.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11021946_800.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	6670
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden