Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Geneva Oldroyd Cardinal Euphonium

I haven't noticed any vibrations. I did hear from someone who owned a Geneva Symphony that their 4th valve lock buzzed and he had to get a washer machined onto the horn to fix it. I'll keep an eye (or ear) out for it over the coming months.

The three Geneva I played on (two Cardinal and one Symphony) all had this weird buzzing. You couldn't hear it from the audience or in a loud room but I could hear it and it drove me crazy. I miss the sound of that Cardinal though, such a sweet, sweet singing sound.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

3. My Symphony had a buzz. I think it was the tuning slide itself. I was never able to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by superted View Post
    My Symphony had a buzz. I think it was the tuning slide itself. I was never able to get rid of it.
    Last year there was a buzz on my Besson 2052: the threaded ring of the trigger's rod had loosened up and, on certain frequencies, produced an annoying buzz. I solved by putting very viscous silicone grease inside the ring.
    Last edited by franz; 02-21-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I took the Cardinal I had to my tech in Sacramento and they could not figure out where the buzz was coming from, including trying all types of grease, glue and locktite they could try. They even rebuilt the trigger assembly. They are both Euphonium players (Willson) and could not always duplicate the buzz themselves. At one point there was a leak where the 4th valve connects to the tuning slide but they soldered the leak and the buzz remained. Then the trigger spring exploded and I had enough at that point. All this happened between February and May last year. I will absolutely say though that Joe Johnson was awesome to deal with and made every accommodation to help me, even having Geneva build a new horn for me, which did not fix the problem. At any rate I moved back to Adams and an E3 but I do miss the sound and look of that Cardinal.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Well, I'm certainly not going to be paranoid in the slightest about my new horn suddenly sounding like a wasp nest at some point.... Nope. Not at all.

As for the intonation of the horn - the more I'm getting used to the way it blows, the better in tune it's getting. Eb above the staff was initially extremely sharp, but I think that was user error, because it's right on now. Overall it's got a lot fewer weird tendencies than my Willson - most notably the A and Ab below middle C and high F and G, all of which were problem notes for me and no longer are. I haven't had much time to really sit down and look at each note, but I'll try to do that this weekend.

It's such a great playing instrument, so I'm crossing my fingers about the build quality after reading some of the posts in this thread.

Update - Oh no!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190209_163246.jpg  

Must be due to the sweet-as-honey sound!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

None of those bees look flat...

DDG

10. How is the Geneva doing? I cannot see the images in sorry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast