Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Oil and Grease

Discussion of Oil and Grease

Well you all have very gently and graciously persuaded me to go with the Dolce. After plenty of time spent today on their site, Facebook page, and YouTube, and having also had more time to process the phone calls I had with MB earlier in the week, the decision is pretty clear.

I promised the hubby I'd wait at least one week before purchasing to ensure time to think, pray, and change my mind if needed. But, unless something changes, I'll order next week and look forward to sharing my impressions with you all upon its arrival!

I decided that maintenance or not, I just can't visually handle the lacquer, so I'll go ahead and get the silver. But the gold accents seem to be little more than cosmetic, and more than one reviewer indicated that the gold easily wore off. So I'll save $100 by sticking with the classic look.

I also think I'll stick with the original mouthpiece for now. While I imagine I'll upgrade later, I'll be happy to save that added cost now in order to help me afford the better instrument. I bet a mouthpiece would fit inside a Christmas stocking quite nicely!

My local music store told me today that most people are fine with generic valve oil, but that "older, pickier" people prefer Hetman. I told her I'm old and picky, and having remembered the recommendations here for the same, that decision was made easily enough.

I remembered I have lanolin leftover from my student days. Think that's still ok to use on the slides, or does it expire? If you really wanna go there (I don't assume that you do, but apparently I do), I also have lanolin leftover from my breastfeeding days (years) that is much fresher and would presumably work nicely. I don't intend to be using it for its intended purpose anytime soon.

I'll look at the above recommendations for brushes soon. I'm thankful to have my options reduced to two, so your time is much appreciated.

THANK YOU all so much for contributing your experience and informed opinions to my decision! I'm so excited that this is finally happening after all these years!!!

Kimberly

Well you all have very gently and graciously persuaded me to go with the Dolce. After plenty of time spent today on their site, Facebook page, and YouTube, and having also had more time to process the phone calls I had with MB earlier in the week, the decision is pretty clear.

I promised the hubby I'd wait at least one week before purchasing to ensure time to think, pray, and change my mind if needed. But, unless something changes, I'll order next week and look forward to sharing my impressions with you all upon its arrival!

I decided that maintenance or not, I just can't visually handle the lacquer, so I'll go ahead and get the silver. But the gold accents seem to be little more than cosmetic, and more than one reviewer indicated that the gold easily wore off. So I'll save $100 by sticking with the classic look.

I also think I'll stick with the original mouthpiece for now. While I imagine I'll upgrade later, I'll be happy to save that added cost now in order to help me afford the better instrument. I bet a mouthpiece would fit inside a Christmas stocking quite nicely!

My local music store told me today that most people are fine with generic valve oil, but that "older, pickier" people prefer Hetman. I told her I'm old and picky, and having remembered the recommendations here for the same, that decision was made easily enough.

I remembered I have lanolin leftover from my student days. Think that's still ok to use on the slides, or does it expire? If you really wanna go there (I don't assume that you do, but apparently I do), I also have lanolin leftover from my breastfeeding days (years) that is much fresher and would presumably work nicely. I don't intend to be using it for its intended purpose anytime soon.

I'll look at the above recommendations for brushes soon. I'm thankful to have my options reduced to two, so your time is much appreciated.

THANK YOU all so much for contributing your experience and informed opinions to my decision! I'm so excited that this is finally happening after all these years!!!
    Last edited by lzajmom; Today at 12:41 AM.

I think you'll enjoy the Wessex! Hetman is good oil, and that is what I'm currently using. Be aware that it comes in different thicknesses. You might start with #1, which is the thinnest.

However, I prefer to break a horn in with conventional oil, on the theory that it will dissolve the residue that might remain in the horn for a few weeks. In any case, you should clean and oil the valves daily for a couple weeks, then gradually do so less frequently.

Lanolin can start to smell pretty bad after a while, but that's about all I know. I'm using Hetman slide grease and I find it smells a lot like lanolin! But you might try good-old standard slide grease from your music store, too. One of my slides doesn't like the Hetman grease - the rest are fine with it. So I use Bach grease on that one and it works much better.

FWIW.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Be aware that it comes in different thicknesses. You might start with #1, which is the thinnest.
    Thanks! I didn't know anything about that.

However, I prefer to break a horn in with conventional oil
    Sorry I'm ignorant on this... Is Hetman "conventional"?

Hetman is considered a synthetic. Try Blue Juice for the breaking-in period.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

Hetman is considered a synthetic. Try Blue Juice for the breaking-in period.
    Got it. Thanks so much!!

Another vote for Blue Juice. It lubricates well AND helps keep the valves cleaner. The only complaint I hear is it has a stronger odor. I don’t notice that anymore. Matt of Dillon Music in NJ was quoted as saying, “Use Blue Juice. You’ll thank me later”.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (excerpts)
    ; Raphael Hernandez, arr. Iwai from our Swing/Salsa concert 2018
    Video of above: El Cumbanchero:

For slide grease I just use normal Vaseline. Works perfectly, never had problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lzajmom View Post
    My local music store told me today that most people are fine with generic valve oil, but that "older, pickier" people prefer Hetman. I told her I'm.
    Based on this comment, I would not put a lot of weight on advice from the music store; though it appears to be harmless. You'll have to work through trying a couple dozen different valve oils like the rest of us have before you find your favorite.

I remembered I have anhydrous lanolin leftover from my student days.
    I used to use lanolin (for over a decade) as slide lube and liked it a lot. I still have most of the jar I bought from some drug store 25 years ago, but some of it has hardened up. I don't know why I still have that jar around.

But there are better things today. I now use DOW-Corning (silicone) high vacuum grease, but it's pricey and you have to buy a fairly large tube. Since I use it for other things, that's not a problem for me.

However, what I tend to recommend now is a very similar (silicone) grease that's easily available in the plumbing departments (okay, stop giggling now) of Lowes and Home Depot. It's often called "faucet grease", and one common brand is Danco (here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Danco-80360-W...faucet+grease; here at Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Grease/1092167). You can also often get it at Walmart.

The silicone grease has the advantage that it does not "wash off" as even lanolin will do over time, and does not harden. One application lasts a LONG time. The only caveat is that you must use VERY LITTLE of it -- partly because you don't need much of it, and partly because you don't want a glob of it migrating to your valves. Just apply a bit to the tuning slide tube, rub it all over, then kind of wipe it off with your hand. I think most contemporary commercial tuning slide lubricants nowadays contain silicone as one of the major ingredients. They just also contain other useless stuff and charge more for it.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Blue Juice is very popular among the non-synthetic oil crowd (who oddly often seem to otherwise want to avoid the use of petrochemical products, but I digress). A lot of people really like it. I use it (the free bottle that came with one of my instruments) as a thin oil lubricant for tools, small mechanisms, and some firearms. But I can't use it on my instruments because I find the smell of it to be overpowering and nauseating. Also, I much prefer synthetics because I find that they last longer and have no odor or taste associated with them. We all have our preferences.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)