X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lzajmom
    • Feb 2019

Replace valve buttons

Greetings! I am looking to buy a Dolce, but do they really have dragons on the valve buttons? Do you know where to buy affordable replacements? Could I use buttons for the Yamaha 642? Should I replace the whole button, including the metal base in which the top is set, or is it ok to replace just the pearl top? Thanks for the help!!
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"
  • bbocaner
    • May 2009

When I ordered a tuba from Wessex I was able to ask them to substitute their old-style finger buttons with "pearls" for the fancy Wessex finger buttons. I don't like the texture of the engraving under my fingers. I'm not sure if they still have them or not. Not sure if Yamaha would fit, but I suspect standard Jin Bao finger buttons is what you're looking for. You can't just add "pearls" to the Wessex buttons as they are a different shape and don't have the recessed area for the inlay.
    --
    Barry

Comment

• guidocorona
      • Jun 2018

The engraved Wessex wivern is not of everyone's taste.... But it has at least one advantage... It makes the button tops just slightly grippier than a slick polished surface. I must say that having used horns with flat polished brass buttons, and buttons with wooden inlays, I have grown to appreciate the slightly grippy feel of the textured Wessex wivern under my fingertips.

On the other hand, it is nice that Wessex is willing to offer some options to the default rampant dragon.

Saluti, Guido
      M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
      Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
      Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
        • Jul 2017

Izajmom,
        I have both a Wessex Dolce and a Yamaha 642 Neo and can say the Yamaha valve buttons DO definitely fit the Dolce. I too was not a big fan of the dragon texture, so ordered a set of 642 Neo. Now whether the 642 and 642 Neo are the same, my guess is yes, am I positively sure, no.

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

Hello Nbnarcisi, I am curious.... How much did the Yamaha 642 Neo button cost, and from where did you order them?

Regards, Guido

Comment

• ghmerrill
            • Dec 2011

Yamaha seems to be selling what appear to be generic Yamaha euphonium finger buttons on Amazon.
            Gary Merrill
            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
              • Jul 2017

Guido,
              Mouthpiece Express is where, about $10 each. Click on Yamaha parts on their left menu, then click on euphonium/baritone, then click on 642 Neo, may still have in stock.

What Gary says is true, just not sure if 642 and 642 Neo are the same thread.

Nick
              Last edited by Nbnarcisi; 02-08-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• guidocorona
                • Jun 2018

Thank you Nick and Gary for the info!!! G.

Comment

• lzajmom
                  • Feb 2019

Thank you all! That's exactly what I needed.
                  Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Comment

• franz
                    • Dec 2015

If this can serve:
                    I replaced the valve buttons of my JP 373 baritone ( the originals were top small and slipped from the fingers) with those of the Besson Prestige ( purchased by Dawkes music). I had to redo the stems too ( they were a single body with the valve buttons).
                    Good job, Now they're perfect for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_180522.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	117450Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_180845.jpg
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	117451 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_180605.jpg
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	117452 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_180711.jpg
Size:	857.2 KB
ID:	117453
                    Last edited by franz; 02-09-2019, 03:28 AM.
                    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• bbocaner
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Nbnarcisi View Post
                      Izajmom,
                      I have both a Wessex Dolce and a Yamaha 642 Neo and can say the Yamaha valve buttons DO definitely fit the Dolce. I too was not a big fan of the dragon texture, so ordered a set of 642 Neo. Now whether the 642 and 642 Neo are the same, my guess is yes, am I positively sure, no.
                      Great info. Did you by any chance check the valve alignment with a borescope after changing the finger buttons?
                      --
                      Barry

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
                        Great info. Did you by any chance check the valve alignment with a borescope after changing the finger buttons?
                        A quick alternative for checking valve button effects would be to pull the first valve's compensating slide (on the back of the valve casing) and see if the ports align when you push 1 down. (This assumes #1 has a removable slide; not all horns do.)
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
                          • Jul 2017

Barry,
                          Actually did, I’ve got a DEPSTECH that I use in my business which works very well in this situation and what Dave said as well

Comment

Working...
                          X