X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghmerrill
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by John the Theologian View Post

I agree that the case is big, but it's not too heavy and affords good protection.
    People actually use the cases that come with these things? Astonishing.

I have both a Mack Brass euph case and a Wessex tuba case that my wife forbids me to store in the attic any longer. So they're sitting in my tool shed for lack of a better place. I can't quite bring myself to dump them, but probably should do so. One of my excuses is that I might need them if I ever decide to sell and ship one of the instruments (which, of course, is highly unlikely).

For the Mack Brass euph I have a (low end) Protec case and for the Eb Wessex tuba a (likewise low end) top-loading Gard bag. I really like them both and they're "protective enough" for me since I never do anything with the horns except haul them around in car or truck.

Now the Schiller case that came with the bass trombone I DO use, and it's great. It's the same ("semi-hard" foam, fabric covered) technology as the Mack and Wessex, but for the trombone it really works. And with excellent backpack straps. I went through a period a year ago where I thought I should get a "better case" for it because I use it so much, but after looking around just couldn't convince myself that -- purely in terms of function for my purposes -- I could do better, no matter what the cost. So I'm soldiering on with it, and it's showing no signs of wear.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• jakewillis
      • Dec 2012

I own a Mack brass Euphonium and a Wessex Dolce. The Wessex is definitely better, but the Mack is still a heck of a horn.

I feel like the Wessex is worth it, but the Mack is a fine horn, too.
      I play a Wessex Prague
      aka “Pocket Kaiser”
      Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
      Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
      Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
      Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9

Comment

• lzajmom
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
        Based on this comment, I would not put a lot of weight on advice from the music store
        SERIOUSLY THOUGH. Let me tell you another story about this chica. I went in a few months ago and had a conversation something like this. I'll paraphrase:

Me: Hi, I'm interested in getting a Yamaha 321S. Do you carry those?
        Her: I don't have one in stock, but Jupiter!
        Me: Uhh, can you get a Yamaha?
        Her: Yes, but we have Jupiters.
        Me: I don't want a Jupiter. How much for the Yamaha?
        Her: I'll have to look it up. But the Jupiter is only--
        Me: MA'AM! I'm not ever going to buy a Jupiter. Would you please look up the price of a Yamaha?
        Her: (Laboriously flips through a very small book) The Yamaha is $xxxx, but the Jupiter is only...
        Me: Bye.

So this time, when I called and realized I had the same girl, I asked for someone who knows about euphoniums, and she started telling me that most people are happy with the cheap stuff. So I asked if anyone knows about brass instruments in general, and she told me about these pre-packaged cleaning kits.

There IS an older man there who is very knowledgeable and helpful, but apparently one must contend with the gatekeeper before being permitted his assistance.
        Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Comment

• John Morgan
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by lzajmom View Post
          SERIOUSLY THOUGH. Let me tell you another story about this chica. I went in a few months ago and had a conversation something like this. I'll paraphrase:

Me: Hi, I'm interested in getting a Yamaha 321S. Do you carry those?
          Her: I don't have one in stock, but Jupiter!
          Me: Uhh, can you get a Yamaha?
          Her: Yes, but we have Jupiters.
          Me: I don't want a Jupiter. How much for the Yamaha?
          Her: I'll have to look it up. But the Jupiter is only--
          Me: MA'AM! I'm not ever going to buy a Jupiter. Would you please look up the price of a Yamaha?
          Her: (Laboriously flips through a very small book) The Yamaha is $xxxx, but the Jupiter is only...
          Me: Bye.

So this time, when I called and realized I had the same girl, I asked for someone who knows about euphoniums, and she started telling me that most people are happy with the cheap stuff. So I asked if anyone knows about brass instruments in general, and she told me about these pre-packaged cleaning kits.

There IS an older man there who is very knowledgeable and helpful, but apparently one must contend with the gatekeeper before being permitted his assistance.
          Kimberly - I think I really like you!! That is too funny, and unfortunately in many stores, too common. I will have to remember the word "chica" and add this to my vocabulary. I am quite certain it is totally politically incorrect, so I like it more. When you get your new Wessex, please come play in our band!!
          John Morgan
          The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
          Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
          1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
          Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
          Year Round Except Summer:
          Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
          KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
          Summer Only:
          Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
          Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• guidocorona
            • Jun 2018

Me thinks that the sales chica in question done her sales&marketing training under the guidance of iPhone's Siri... Really, with humans as brilliant as that, who needs robotic assistants?! *Grins!*

G.
            M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
            Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
            Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• ghmerrill
              • Dec 2011

It's nothing new. One of the basic principles of sales is "Sell them what you have." Having spent increasing concentrations of time in the AI game since at least the mid-80s, I'm all for smart assistive AIs. Unfortunately, many AIs will likely inherit all the bad techniques and habits that the marketing people want them to exhibit. For example, I'm really disturbed by some of the "patter" being used. I just don't know why the NC Dept. of Transportation online "bot" for renewing driver licenses and and vehicle registrations needs to insert "Awesome!" into the conversation when you respond to its questions. They used to have an excellent and efficient UI for doing this (actually, my wife worked on that), and now it's been replaced by a third-party product that sounds like "Chatty Moron". I mean ... just ask me for the information and calculate the cost and take the payment. Don't try to engage me in some demented conversation that would embarrass a 12-year-old. (Insert grumpy old man emoji here.)
              Gary Merrill
              Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
              Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
              Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
              1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
              Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
              1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• lzajmom
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
                Kimberly - I think I really like you!! That is too funny, and unfortunately in many stores, too common. I will have to remember the word "chica" and add this to my vocabulary. I am quite certain it is totally politically incorrect, so I like it more. When you get your new Wessex, please come play in our band!!
                I think I like, as we say in the south, all y'all! I've learned so much already and I enjoy considering all the reasoned opinions. It's refreshing to participate in online discussion that is both bereft of partisan hostility and uses more than 280 characters.

But I'm not sure you can say "chica" unless you yourself are one. 😆 I'd allow another woman to call me that if her snark was a brand I respected, but I'd probably box the ears of any man saying it regardless of the context. 😂

As for playing with your band, just tell me when and where and arrange childcare and fund the transportation, and I'm so there!! ...
                Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Comment

• lzajmom
                  • Feb 2019

Incidentally, and I'm really sorry for the digression (well, kinda), but does anyone here remember an old Aaron Sorkin show from 1999-2000 called "Sports Night"? One would say it's about sports in the way Charlie's Angels was about law enforcement. Anyway, every time I read "blue juice," I think of this:

Dan: What are you doing tonight?
                  Casey: Going to sleep.
                  Dan: Come out with me.
                  Casey: Where?
                  Dan: El Perro Fumando.
                  Casey: The Smoking Dog.
                  Dan: Yes.
                  Casey: Why?
                  Dan: If you wear something blue, you get $2 off a giant blue margarita.
                  Casey: You know, I make a pretty good living. I can actually afford to wear what I want and pay full price.
                  Dan: I'm not so much promoting the economic upside of it as I am the opportunity to drink something giant and blue.

Starts at 0:33
                  https://youtu.be/D7OCiE3U0tU
                  Wessex Dolce

Comment

• timster
                    • Dec 2018

I just received my Wessex Dolce, silver with gold accents; good horn at a great price for me. Wish I could afford a much "better horn" as described at length on this forum, but alas....
                    I'll get a better mouthpiece and other niceties, but this instrument is a good start. Thanks to Dave Werden and all of you for you comments about the many brands and features of which to be alert.

Tim Kennedy

Comment

• davewerden
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2005

Congratulations on the new arrival! (Passing out cigars??)

I'm sure you'll have a fine time getting to know each other.
                      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                      YouTube: dwerden
                      Facebook: davewerden
                      Twitter: davewerden
                      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                        • Jun 2018

Congratz! Do make a recording of your playing once you get accustomed to the instrument! Would love to listen to it in action!
                        "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                        Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• BDeisinger
                          • Jan 2015

Sorry that I can't point you in the direction of a Chinese made horn for various reasons. Yamaha, Jupiter and many of the American manufactures make a good horn which most likely is more expensive than a Chinese made instrument. Some of these instruments are made in Twain which in my mind is ok. Even the American manufactures have resorted to farming out their horns and don't list the country of origin. On the plus side, the Chinese made instruments probably are more affordable for the beginning student at a time when music and the arts are at risk in the public schools. I think those of us on the forum need to be aware that music and the arts are at risk in this country and we definitely need to keep our young people involved in music.
                          B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
                          Wessex Festivo
                          B&S PT37-S
                          Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
                          Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

NOTE ABOUT OIL/GREASE DISCUSSION:

It became a serious digression but had good discussion, so I moved it to its own thread here:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...Oil-and-Grease

Please direct comments on oil or grease to that thread. Thanks!
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                            YouTube: dwerden
                            Facebook: davewerden
                            Twitter: davewerden
                            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• timster
                              • Dec 2018

In response to ChristianeSparkle:
                              I play with the Canton (MI) Concert Band and you can access the website to hear our sound. I don't have any personal recordings to share.

Tim

Comment

• lzajmom
                                • Feb 2019

Would anyone have a problem using Kimwipes to wipe your valves for routine cleaning?

Kimtech Science KimWipes Delicate Task Wipers 1-ply 280 count (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F462ZJY..._rs2yCbEZ3JE4P

Laundry is not high on my list of domestic talents. I was looking at a 50 pack of microfiber cloths for ~$18, and thinking I could use one for a week or two, then throw it away, and it'd last 1-2 years. Then I came across these and wondered if they'd be just as good? Is lint free important? These say low lint. I'm just not into washing oily grimey cloths if I don't have to. I already have to contend with poop and snot every day.
                                Wessex Dolce

Comment

Working...
                                X