Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Please... Just tell me what to buy!

Most people don't clean their valves every day. When I was playing tuba regularly (and using either Alisyn or Yamaha synthetic oil) I'd clean or wipe them down maybe once a week. Most trombone players don't clean their hand slides even once a week. I typically go a couple of weeks between partial or full cleanings. Again, that's with synthetic lubricants. It may depend on what lubricant you use, and maybe on the viscosity.

I'm sure there are as many opinions on this as there are on valve oils.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Izajmom,

I work in a medical lab and have ample experience with Kimwipes; I do not recommend them for valve cleaning. They would leave a 'lint' residue where they would catch on the openings if used for that purpose.

Tim

Not sure where to put this, but since we were talking about biofilm and valve oil. So I just thoroughly cleaned my horn last Sunday, Scrubbed out all the biofilm and stuff. Today, found out biofilm has clogged my main tuning slide's water key, and quite a few large bits of film in my valves. Bleh.

Also,I've been using Hetmann slide gel, seems like it dried up fast too? Having trouble removing my slides after just greasing them on Sunday.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Noob here.
    Just wanted to say thanks for this forum and post. I also haven’t played for 15 years since getting out of the Marine Corps bands back in 2003. I also have decided to start playing again and getting my chops back into shape...like me, they are older, flabby, and don’t get much exercise since leaving the Corps...

I have been bashing my head against a euphonium-less wall for awhile now trying to figure out how to get a decent non-entry level euphonium without breaking the bank. I’ve even contacted my old Marine band buddies, but none of them can help with a horn...Then I came upon this forum and this thread in particular.
    So, in short, I have decided to go with the Wessex.

Thanks for the post and I look forward to conversing with you all!
    “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” -Robert Hughes

Welcome to the forum and back to playing. Pretty sure you’ll be happy with the Wessex.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hello PastorAtrain... Congratulations for deciding to join the Wessex user famly!

Wessex currently offers two 4-valve compensated euphoniums.... The front valve Festivo:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...uphonium-ep104

and the top valver Dolce:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...uphonium-ep100

I have adopted the front valve Festivo and am totally happy with it.... But I am confident I would have been equally delighted with Dolce.

Which model are you more inclined towards?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I’ve never used a front valve before, so I’m inclined to use the Dolce. I’ve never played on a Wessex either, but from all the talk about it, I’m sure I will be delighted. The horns that I have played on are:
    High School: some student model. Probably Yamaha.
    Marine Corps: Wilson’s and Hirsbrunner
    “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” -Robert Hughes

8. PastorAtrain, I wrote a First Impressions review of the Dolce shortly after receiving it. I'm sure it's very different than these professional guys who know everything there is to know about euphoniums would have written, but maybe it will help manage your expectations. Overall, I've been happy with the value I received for the cost, but I probably wish I'd been prepared for a few things.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e#.XI_oZLh7mM8
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Thanks Izajmom, I did read it and posted on that thread as well. Awesome review!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234