Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please... Just tell me what to buy!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    It is my understanding that Wessex has closed it's facility in Michigan and is in the process of opening a new facility in the Chicago area. Look at the blog postings on the Wessex website.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I played a Mack Brass euphonium for a couple of years and found it to be most acceptable, as did people I work/play with.
    I've never owned a Wessex, but the number of posts here will testify to their quality. I've tried a couple, but hardly extensively.
    I simply wanted to put a word in for the Mack.
    Jim
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I played a Mack Brass euphonium for a couple of years and found it to be most acceptable, as did people I work/play with.
    I've never owned a Wessex, but the number of posts here will testify to their quality. I've tried a couple, but hardly extensively.
    I simply wanted to put a word in for the Mack.
    Jim
    i've never played a Wessex, but I'm very satisfied with my Mack Brass. I played a Yamaha YEP321 lacquer previously and the Mack is superior to me. Mine is silver and maintenance hasn't been a problem.

I agree that the case is big, but it's not too heavy and affords good protection.

BTW, a mouthpiece that I"ve found works well wih the Mack Brss is one of the UMI/CKB/King 5Gs-- all the same mps-- that are tulip shaped like a Wick. It's out of production, but there are often used ones available. The mp has a bigger throat and deeper cup than a comparable Bach or Bach spin-off with a comfortable rim.

lzajmom wrote: "At 5'4", I'm not long and I'm not strong, so having a comfortable reach seems important."

If you need any inspiration from a woman who may be approximately your size (or smaller), check out Misa Mead, an excellent euphonium player. I think that she has posted some advice on how best to use lung capacity, as hers is less than a 6 foot male. (I believe she plays a Besson Prestige.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMc50_xmSSg
    Last edited by enhite; 02-07-2019 at 03:33 PM.

According to Besson, Misa plays a 967 with trigger:

https://www.besson.com/en/artist/misa-mead/

Misa is playing Besson Sovereign 967T in Lacquer.
    But I don't know if she chose that over the Prestige because it is easier to hold or play. Some players like its tone better.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post

I agree that the case is big, but it's not too heavy and affords good protection.
    People actually use the cases that come with these things? Astonishing.

I have both a Mack Brass euph case and a Wessex tuba case that my wife forbids me to store in the attic any longer. So they're sitting in my tool shed for lack of a better place. I can't quite bring myself to dump them, but probably should do so. One of my excuses is that I might need them if I ever decide to sell and ship one of the instruments (which, of course, is highly unlikely).

For the Mack Brass euph I have a (low end) Protec case and for the Eb Wessex tuba a (likewise low end) top-loading Gard bag. I really like them both and they're "protective enough" for me since I never do anything with the horns except haul them around in car or truck.

Now the Schiller case that came with the bass trombone I DO use, and it's great. It's the same ("semi-hard" foam, fabric covered) technology as the Mack and Wessex, but for the trombone it really works. And with excellent backpack straps. I went through a period a year ago where I thought I should get a "better case" for it because I use it so much, but after looking around just couldn't convince myself that -- purely in terms of function for my purposes -- I could do better, no matter what the cost. So I'm soldiering on with it, and it's showing no signs of wear.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I own a Mack brass Euphonium and a Wessex Dolce. The Wessex is definitely better, but the Mack is still a heck of a horn.

I feel like the Wessex is worth it, but the Mack is a fine horn, too.
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
    Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
    Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
    Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9

8. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Based on this comment, I would not put a lot of weight on advice from the music store
    SERIOUSLY THOUGH. Let me tell you another story about this chica. I went in a few months ago and had a conversation something like this. I'll paraphrase:

Me: Hi, I'm interested in getting a Yamaha 321S. Do you carry those?
    Her: I don't have one in stock, but Jupiter!
    Me: Uhh, can you get a Yamaha?
    Her: Yes, but we have Jupiters.
    Me: I don't want a Jupiter. How much for the Yamaha?
    Her: I'll have to look it up. But the Jupiter is only--
    Me: MA'AM! I'm not ever going to buy a Jupiter. Would you please look up the price of a Yamaha?
    Her: (Laboriously flips through a very small book) The Yamaha is $xxxx, but the Jupiter is only...
    Me: Bye.

So this time, when I called and realized I had the same girl, I asked for someone who knows about euphoniums, and she started telling me that most people are happy with the cheap stuff. So I asked if anyone knows about brass instruments in general, and she told me about these pre-packaged cleaning kits.

There IS an older man there who is very knowledgeable and helpful, but apparently one must contend with the gatekeeper before being permitted his assistance.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by lzajmom View Post
    SERIOUSLY THOUGH. Let me tell you another story about this chica. I went in a few months ago and had a conversation something like this. I'll paraphrase:

Me: Hi, I'm interested in getting a Yamaha 321S. Do you carry those?
    Her: I don't have one in stock, but Jupiter!
    Me: Uhh, can you get a Yamaha?
    Her: Yes, but we have Jupiters.
    Me: I don't want a Jupiter. How much for the Yamaha?
    Her: I'll have to look it up. But the Jupiter is only--
    Me: MA'AM! I'm not ever going to buy a Jupiter. Would you please look up the price of a Yamaha?
    Her: (Laboriously flips through a very small book) The Yamaha is $xxxx, but the Jupiter is only...
    Me: Bye.

So this time, when I called and realized I had the same girl, I asked for someone who knows about euphoniums, and she started telling me that most people are happy with the cheap stuff. So I asked if anyone knows about brass instruments in general, and she told me about these pre-packaged cleaning kits.

There IS an older man there who is very knowledgeable and helpful, but apparently one must contend with the gatekeeper before being permitted his assistance.
    Kimberly - I think I really like you!! That is too funny, and unfortunately in many stores, too common. I will have to remember the word "chica" and add this to my vocabulary. I am quite certain it is totally politically incorrect, so I like it more. When you get your new Wessex, please come play in our band!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Me thinks that the sales chica in question done her sales&marketing training under the guidance of iPhone's Siri... Really, with humans as brilliant as that, who needs robotic assistants?! *Grins!*

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast