Thread: DiamondBrass Mouthpiece Coating

1. DiamondBrass Mouthpiece Coating

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.diamondbrass.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Diamantbeschichtung/

according to the manufacturer:
    The layer is made of 100% synthetic diamond. Due to the nature of this surface, the bundling of lip vibrations in the mouthpiece is optimized. This makes the sound more harmonious and radiant.

Players of the Berlin Philharmoniker have done it to their mouthpiece.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

"Diamond-plated mouthpieces" sounds like the topic of an Onion music article.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

Bundling of lip vibrations?

Pretty sure that's not drawn from the standard nomenclature of physics or acoustics. Any idea what it means?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

"Buendelung" can also imply a focusing or concentration, which I'd say is the implication here.

Oddly, clicking on the "coat my mouthpiece" option gives a 404!
    Last edited by Snorlax; 02-06-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Not gonna lie, this gave me a good chuckle xD Coating your mouthpiece with synthetic diamond... Who even comes up with this?

I didn't slog through the German, I confess, but even the "focus" interpretation doesn't seem to make any sense.

I do feel that my Doug Elliott mouthpieces enable me to concentrate the stream of sound pulses in the mouthpiece and emit them through the shank in a manner that optimizes the effects of my own peculiar talents. I'd be concerned that a diamond coating would interfere with this optimization and result in a much too bright quality since the sound pulses would be bouncing off the coating with substantially less energy loss. In addition, some of the pulses surely would collide with one another at high speed in the mouthpiece, resulting in pulse fragmentation and disruption of the pure focused sound. I haven't been able to test this (and in fact don't even know how that could be done), but it's my current thinking about such things. For this reason I'm going to wait on trying a diamond-coated mouthpiece until we hear more about them.

I wonder if we'll be seeing (synthetic, of course) ruby-coated and sapphire-coated mouthpieces as well, and what the subtle differences among all these may be.
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I didn't slog through the German, I confess, but even the "focus" interpretation doesn't seem to make any sense.

I do feel that my Doug Elliott mouthpieces enable me to concentrate the stream of sound pulses in the mouthpiece and emit them through the shank in a manner that optimizes the effects of my own peculiar talents. I'd be concerned that a diamond coating would interfere with this optimization and result in a much too bright quality since the sound pulses would be bouncing off the coating with substantially less energy loss. In addition, some of the pulses surely would collide with one another at high speed in the mouthpiece, resulting in pulse fragmentation and disruption of the pure focused sound. I haven't been able to test this (and in fact don't even know how that could be done), but it's my current thinking about such things. For this reason I'm going to wait on trying a diamond-coated mouthpiece until we hear more about them.

I wonder if we'll be seeing (synthetic, of course) ruby-coated and sapphire-coated mouthpieces as well, and what the subtle differences among all these may be.
    A company in Wakanda is making mouthpieces out of pure vibranium. According to Wikipedia, vibranium "is noted for its uncanny ability to leverage thermodynamics in absorbing, storing, and releasing kinetic energy in a controlled manner." I heard that Dave Werden played a pedal Bb using one of the Wakandan mouthpieces, and the resulting vibrations caused plaster to shake from the walls and ceiling. No one was hurt, but Dave went back to his 4AL out of fear of causing harm to any audience members.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

(laughing)
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Yeah, I heard that story too. But can't find any independent corroboration. I also heard that the discovery of vibranium is being considered for the next Nobel Peace Prize.

While acknowledging all we know about vibranium, I'm a little skeptical of this because one of the fundamental laws of thermodynamics is that it's not possible to leverage thermodynamics. I think that's the 4th Law -- at least as I recall from my 2nd semester freshman Chemistry course. Also, there were a lot of partial differential equations which discourage further thought.
    Gary Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Yeah, I heard that story too. But can't find any independent corroboration. I also heard that the discovery of vibranium is being considered for the next Nobel Peace Prize.

While acknowledging all we know about vibranium, I'm a little skeptical of this because one of the fundamental laws of thermodynamics is that it's not possible to leverage thermodynamics. I think that's the 4th Law -- at least as I recall from my 2nd semester freshman Chemistry course. Also, there were a lot of partial differential equations which discourage further thought.
    What he said [laughing].
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing