Thread: I was just watching the Army Tuba-Euph

1. I was just watching the Army Tuba-Euph

conference and saw the tuba soloist using his left hand to pull a slide in and out while using his right hand on the valves. I play the euph but know nothing about the tuba. I'd appreciate someone explaining what kind of horn he was probably playing and why he pulling the slides. Thank you.

Many tubists do this, and it is not specific to a brand. They are usually pulling the 1st slide, I believe. That facility is mentioned for this Wessex tuba, for example:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...a-wyvern-tc590
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Most of us euphonium players prefer compensating euphoniums that are close to being able to be played in tune across the range, we make adhustments using alternate fingerings or by lipping the pitch. If we want to move slides, we put triggers on the main tuning slide for adjusting. Tuba players tend to prefer more valves (5 or even 6) and slides they can pull to play in tune. Thus begins an argument by tuba players who double on euph that traditional compensating euphoniums are stuffy and should be "front valve" with slides on top that can be pulled. Euphonium players (OTOH) argue for British style tubas in BBb or Eb and say they are good enough.

In the context of our current political climate it is akin to arguing about the southern wall. Neither side really wants to listen to the other!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band