X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snorlax
    • Mar 2007

Highpitch...
    Or I could say MPs are like underwear...I change mine every three months, whether I need to or not.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• bbocaner
      • May 2009

legend has it that the 4al was the first Denis Wick mouthpiece model, designed by Mr. Wick to be his personal trombone mouthpiece. Not all trombone mouthpieces work well as a euphonium mouthpiece, but this one did. The fact that it was the default mouthpiece included in the case with new Besson euphoniums for years suggests that somebody agreed with that! Historically speaking, trombone mouthpieces should have a cup shape and conical instruments like euphoniums should have a funnel shape, but there are TONS of exceptions to that and I'm not sure it really holds any water. For example, early 20th century french small bore trombones were often used with very funnel-shaped mouthpieces. And almost no modern mouthpiece is a pure cup or pure funnel, they are almost all some hybrid shape between the two. So, if it fits your face and works well for you on the instrument, why not? I played a 4al for a number of years when I was younger on trombone but never liked it on euphonium, but I actually like it better on euphonium than any of the SM-series mouthpieces I've tried.
      --
      Barry

Comment

• JTJ
        • Nov 2005

Barry is right, it was designed by Denis Wick for his use. To read the history of the 4AL, go here https://www.deniswick.com/product/cl...silver-plated/ and click on the tab midway down the page which is labeled History. It's an interesting story.

John

Comment

• franz
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Euph100 View Post
          Thanks for your answers, i am glad to hear it should be replaced asap!
          If you feel comfortable with it you could re-plated it again: it shouldn't cost you more than ten dollars.
          2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• Euph100
            • Jul 2018

Thanks for the information. I have ordered a 4AL silver Denis wick mouthpiece after questioning whether i should get a gold one instead. I may get the old one replated but im not sure if it would be worth it because it would be replating ontop of brass, i reckon gold ontop of silver is a good choice. Personally so far i havent noticed much difference in gold or silver apart from the $, surely the sound and feeling should come from the shape of the mouthpiece. I find the 4AL really good except when i try and reach anything above a high C above the staff (treble clef) but this may be due to more practice, but the low notes come out with a nice sound!

Comment

• daruby
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by franz View Post
              If you feel comfortable with it you could re-plated it again: it shouldn't cost you more than ten dollars.
              I definitely would NOT have a worn out mouthpiece replated. To do this properly, it has to be buffed down to take the corrosion, scratches, etc. out of the raw brass. It then has to be adequately replated, a process that includes copper plating (silver doesn't stick to brass) before the mouthpiece is silver plated.

Depending on the degree of pitting and damage to the rim and cup, the mouthpiece can end up with a different shape than Denis Wick originally gave it. In the greater scheme of thjings, for a common mouthpiece like a 4AL, you are MUCH better off getting a new one, or a used one from eBay that is in near new shape.
              Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
              Concord Band
              Winchendon Winds
              Townsend Military Band

Comment

• DutchEupho
                • Apr 2006

I’ve had a mouthpiece refurbished by Owen Wedgwood in the UK and got it back like new. He fills all pits and scratches and then smooths them to the original profile. Followed by a fantastic plating job!
                Last edited by DutchEupho; 03-15-2019, 04:43 AM.
                Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
                Trombone: Benge 175F

Comment

• euphlight
                  • May 2016

Last Tuesday, I got the Wick 4M. I was previously using the SM4UM for over 10 years. I also had played on the SM3M and SM4M during last couple of years of university.

It seems like that the extra mass etc. on the Mead mouthpieces eats the air up. The rim of the SM4UM can get very uncomfortable.

What I found so far is Wick 4M plays a lot better and pretty much does everything which Steven Mead claims that his own series does. Maybe things have changed for the better with the X and XR mouthpiece for the better. So I guess it may depend on the player. Hindsight says I should got the Wick 4M instead of getting the Mead mouthpieces when I was in university.

Comment

• Clayton M.
                    • Aug 2018

I prefer the Non-Ultra versions of the SM Wick mouthpieces. /shrug
                    Clayton M.
                    Musician for Fun
                    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
                    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Comment

Working...
                    X