Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Schiller "British Brass Band" 3-valve compensating baritone

1. Thumbs up FS: Schiller "British Brass Band" 3-valve compensating baritone

Sold, thanks!

Since purchasing my Wessex "Maly" travel euphonium, this horn never sees any playing time, so it's time for it to find a new home. I bought it new from Jim Laabs Music and have treated it gently and played it little (most of the time I play my Mack euph or tuba). It's a fun horn--WAY lighter than my euphonium! And the tone is markedly different from the euphonium, as you might expect--much brighter and more direct. I used this to good effect in church one Sunday when I played solos with both instruments as part of my campaign to educate the world about the two being distinct instruments, LOL.

I'm located in east central Indiana. I'm hoping that someone in my area will be interested in buying this in person--not sure if I want to attempt to ship it, but if you are interested, feel free to shoot me a PM. The horn is in excellent shape, almost new. Valve action is smooth. I think Jim Laabs charges just under 500 bucks for this...in person, I'd sell for $400 even, of which I will happily donate 10% to this fine forum. Can email or text higher-resolution photos if you PM me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5235.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	6612

Name:	IMG_5236.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	6613

Name:	IMG_5237.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	6614

Name:	IMG_5238.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	6615
    Last edited by Koukalaka; 05-11-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Is the horn silver or nickel plated?

3. Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    Is the horn silver or nickel plated?
    Neither, it’s lacquered brass. Sorry if this is hard to tell in the photos!

If it had the smaller, more compact cas that some Jinbao British baritones, such as as the Wessex, have, I might be interested. The Schiller case, I believe, is like the case for my Mack Brass euphnonium, one of the foam based zipper cases that is sturdy and light, but large compared to other cases. I, like you, am thinking of the horn, primarily as a travel horn.

If you don't sell it and I could find another case for it, I might be interested in the future. We live in Iowa, but I'm from NW Indiana-- Calumet region-- and we make periodic trips there to visit family, so perhaps we could meet.

I was really thinking of some time next summer for purchase, so if you don't sell it now, keep me in mind.

5. You’re right, this case is very similar to the case for my Mack Brass euphonium, although it is quite a lot smaller, and the overall package is quite a bit lighter. When I get the chance, I’ll try to take and post a photo of the two side by side.

6. I think it's a good thing I don't have the spare change for this. That's a great price, and Nashville isn't too long a drive....

Gotta finish paying off the car first, though!
    Whatever you lose, you'll find it again. What you throw away, you'll never get back.

-- Kenshin Himura

1974 B & H Imperial / Bach 3G -- no LTE mouthpieces for me!

7. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5240.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	6621

Here's a "family photo"--Mack Brass CC tuba, Mack Brass compensating euphonium, Schiller British Brass Band baritone, Wessex "Maly" tornister euphonium, all in their similar cases. I left out my Wessex "Elf" Eb tuba since it has a hard case that doesn't match.

Interestingly--I just picked up the tiny "Maly" in one hand and the Schiller BBBB in the other, both in their cases--the Schiller is noticeably lighter, although obviously the Wessex is much smaller.
    Last edited by Koukalaka; 02-02-2019 at 04:32 PM.

8. I am now willing to ship this horn for $40 additional.

9. Still available to ship or to meet in person.

Where are you in Indiana? I'm in Franklin.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast