Thread: Balanced Embouchure Method

Balanced Embouchure Method

Has anyone tried to apply Jeff Smiley's Balanced Embouchure method to euphonium? I believe he wrote the original book for trumpet and has gotten a boost from Valerie Wells for horn. I think the curling lips in method for high range vs. curling lips out method for low range is similar to what I think Algirdas Matonis is suggesting in his youtube video for how euphonium players differ from trumpet players (who can change position of the horn itself) subbing jaw movement for horn movement. Any thoughts on this?

Replying to my own thread here but someone who knows whereof he speaks recommended Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice" and at the same time noted that building a strong embouchure requires good air quality and daily attention to building strength (and range) just as it would require to strengthen any parts of ones body. I'll be checking out the Gordon book and putting in the daily drill.

3. I'm not at all qualified to give advice, but after a little bit of testing I personally feel that this method helps my high register, but again I wound not take my word for it.

If you would, please explain how long you worked on the method and what parts did you find helpful. Also in terms of increased range, from what to what? Thanks in advance.