Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polar Vortex

I've always felt that I could do more to make living/working in the cold easier and comfortable than I could about living/working in the heat. Of course, I'm sure that's partly attributable to my childhood and young adulthood. But I'd rather just dress properly and work outside in the cold and the drifts than hunker down in air conditioning because working outside in 90-100+ degree heat with high humidity is extremely unpleasant and in fact dangerous in some respects. In a place like Arizona, at least you typically don't have the high humidity, but then you've got the desert. I find it an interesting and enjoyable place to visit, but not one in which I'd choose to live (definitely not low desert, but not even high desert)
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

This is the first real winter weather we've (Minnesota) had in about 20 years. The snow we had last night was perfect for snow blowing (and shoveling) because it is light and fluffy. The cold snap does a good job of killing off invasive species. It gives us bragging rights. We get to say, "you know, it's a little nippy out there." We get to go on television and throw hot water in the air and watch it freeze before it hits the ground. The ice and snow sculptures for the St. Paul Winter Carnival don't melt before you get a chance to see them. You haven't played hockey until you've done that outside when it is -20 F or lower (ask any Canadian about that). You get to pour vodka into your tuba valves to keep them from freezing when you march in the Torchlight Parade. Last but not least, we get to really appreciate every day of spring summer and fall a little more than most.

I've never operated a snow blower . When I was growing up, of course, no one had one. Even when I was in Chicago, they weren't that common for residential users, and we still have a picture of me shovelling snow over my head in the blizzard of '79. Now they're just commonplace. I also never had 4WD (except an old '47 Jeep Universal delivery vehicle I drove in high school) until, oddly, we moved to NC. RWD and chains: that's the natural order of things.

Like air conditioning in the South, technology has made the North more livable as well.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12