Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jinbao nickel plated British Baritone

Jinbao nickel plated British Baritone

Does anyone here on the forum know anything about the seller of this Jinbao British baritone and also what effect the nickel plating will have on the tone quality.

I've been thinking about the possibility of getting a British baritone for a travel horn and this one is obviously cheap with the compact case.

I own Mack Brass stenciled Jinbao euphonium and like it very much. I know that the stencil horns such as Mack, Schiller, and Wessex give extra protection, Wessex horns are priced too high for what would basically be a travel horn and Schillers come with the overized zipper case, which defeats the purpose a bit.

The only time I would like use the horn for any playing would be if I were to sub in the Baritone section of the local brass band, which right now isn't very likely unless my friend who plays 2nd baritone would need a respite or 2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JINBAO-Pro-....c100005.m1851
    Last edited by John the Theologian; 01-27-2019 at 05:52 PM.

I bought the lacquer version of this horn from this same seller, I think 3 years ago, and was completely satisfied, both with the purchase experience and with the quality of the product. It's not the Besson that it was patterned after, but it's major bang for the buck. I use it all the time playing 1st or 2nd (wherever they place me) in the Brass Band of Huntsville, no complaints.

If you go for this, and if your experience equals mine, expect a 45-day delivery time.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Some folks have an allergy to nickle, so be aware.

DG

Dave, how much more was the lacquer version of the horn than the nickel plated version?

If I remember correctly, the final price, including shipping, was $585. Here is the thread in which I talk about it:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...o#.XE24YlxKhdg
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I have this horn, and in the nickle finish too. Works fine for the casual playing I do. It is a little brighter sounding than some of the silver plate horns my section mates play with, but still blends with the group (Salvation Army brass band) just fine. It is roughly two years old now. In retrospect, I do wish, just a little bit, that I had paid extra for silver plate. Look at these pictures of my horn. You will notice a dull patch on the bottom bow and main tuning slide. That is where my left forearm crosses the horn as I hold it. Just an ordinary character mark from actually being touched and played two to three times a week. But I'd like to think that I would not have worn the "shine" off quite so much with silver plate. That, and I romance the idea of a silver horn. So that is mostly an emotionally-based personal value judgement speaking. As I understand it, this is the horn that the other stencils were based from.

I purchased the horn from an ebay seller too, taishan_musical . I was ready for my horn to literally be on the slow boat from China. But instead I received it in roughly two weeks. So I was quite pleased with my experience all around.

As long as nickle allergy is not an issue, this is a good way to obtain an intermediate to pro level, compensating horn. Only you can decide if the finish is worth the difference in price. I can tell you that I would not trade mine, even with the dull spots

- Sara
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0544.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	6618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0546.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	6619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0547.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	6620
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Lacquer horns are usually cheaper than plated.

DG

8. Just curious, is there anything different from a Standard Jinbao baritone horn than a Wessex Baritone horn? I know a quite a few Wessex horns has their own development outside of the standard Jinbao horns but the Wessex baritone seems pretty "standard" when compared to their other horns.

We have the Wessex and Mack Brass founders participating occasionally on this forum, so they could speak more to the technical side of how their horns and the JinBao "standard" compare. I do know that I received a hard sided case with my JinBao, and the Wessex tends to be sold with a cloth covered case. For casual play, why not go with the original and not worry about the brand name mark up? (point) I will grant that it is nice to know you could contact someone at the company, via this forum or other customer service point of contact (counter-point).
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

i haven't seen the lacquer Jinbaos for sale online recently; only the nickel plated ones.

Has anyone seen the lacquer versions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast