Thread: Dave Childs concert

Dave Childs concert

For anyone that's interested and in the area, Dave Childs will be performing with the Air Force Band on Feb. 21 at the Rachel M. Schlesinger Concert Hall and Arts Center at Northern Virginia Community College.

Here is the link:

https://www.music.af.mil/Bands/The-U...e-Band/Events/

Mike

2. I attended this concert. It was amazing.
    Weril H980 euph
    Besson 4v comp euph 314xxx
    Besson 3v comp euph 455xxx
    King 3v bari. 20xxx
    King 4v double-bell euph 50xxx
    Conn 5v double-bell euph 355xxx
    Buescher 3+1 double-bell euph 285xxx
    Olds bell-front 3v bari
    Holton alto horn
    Holton 3v tuba
    Belleville Helicon
    Some of the performances of the Mid-Shore Community Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ty%20band&sm=3

I attended as well. While the playing was impeccable, I was really disappointed with the sound. It's a really good hall, but for some reason they were mic'ing and amplifying the soloist as well as the harp, double bass, and piano. I don't know if this was a request of the soloist, or if the audio technicians that work for the band were trying to justify their existence. David Childs coming out of a speaker doesn't sound the same as David Childs coming out of his bell. The few times when he turned away a bit from the microphone and you heard more of his direct sound were refreshing. And at times, the harp and double bass were overwhelming, which is NOT the way those two instruments are intended to blend with a concert band.

One interesting note, when the three air force band euphonium players joined Mr. Childs for the 4-euphonium version of Bravura, all four players were using different marques of instrument - Besson, Adams, Willson, Yamaha. All sounded great, but they were certainly all different sounds.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I attended as well. While the playing was impeccable, I was really disappointed with the sound. It's a really good hall, but for some reason they were mic'ing and amplifying the soloist as well as the harp, double bass, and piano. I don't know if this was a request of the soloist, or if the audio technicians that work for the band were trying to justify their existence. David Childs coming out of a speaker doesn't sound the same as David Childs coming out of his bell. The few times when he turned away a bit from the microphone and you heard more of his direct sound were refreshing. And at times, the harp and double bass were overwhelming, which is NOT the way those two instruments are intended to blend with a concert band.

One interesting note, when the three air force band euphonium players joined Mr. Childs for the 4-euphonium version of Bravura, all four players were using different marques of instrument - Besson, Adams, Willson, Yamaha. All sounded great, but they were certainly all different sounds.
    I've done three solos with my band in this hall. Each time, they needed to mic me to be heard over the band. The hall is just too lively for a soloist to be heard over a large group. Or even really for a large group by itself. It's like being stuck at the large end of a megaphone.

Mike

it's not all that lively, I think it's a pretty well balanced hall. Especially with a lot of people in it. I've heard Phil Franke play many solos there with a band twice as big and it's been no problem to hear him. Perhaps it's not the best ever, but with a top quality band and a top quality soloist, making do with acoustics has GOT to be better than amplifying, it sounds so unnatural.
    --
    Barry

FWIW, I often hear concerts where I think the sound crew is overdoing things. I like the term "sound reinforcement" because that says what I think the goal should be. Especially for an indoor hall, the audience should not be too aware of the speakers. They should be getting mostly live, acoustic sound.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. I tend to agree that the sound crew was overdoing it a bit.
    Weril H980 euph
    Besson 4v comp euph 314xxx
    Besson 3v comp euph 455xxx
    King 3v bari. 20xxx
    King 4v double-bell euph 50xxx
    Conn 5v double-bell euph 355xxx
    Buescher 3+1 double-bell euph 285xxx
    Olds bell-front 3v bari
    Holton alto horn
    Holton 3v tuba
    Belleville Helicon
    Some of the performances of the Mid-Shore Community Band: