Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Euphonium Shank Sizes

I hate to be a random new guy that bumps an old thread, but this info needs to exist. I only just recently learned some of this the hard way. If you have a horn needing an obscure shank size, contact Josef Klier. They've helped me out a lot, and they're getting another big order from me when they get back from vacation.

Normal 5% taper sizes that I know of:

9.8mm/10mm - German Flugelhorn shank, Alto Horn, Trumpet, etc.
    A real Trumpet mouthpiece will have a tiny wobble in a real 10mm shank receiver. Supposedly, there are French made Alto Trombones with this shank.
    Shout out to the jHorn.

10.5mm - Large Alto Shank, Large Parforcehorn Shank, Alto/Baroque/Fanfare Trumpet Shank (?)
    This is the shank size for large bore ovalform Althorns, and older Alto Trombones. Very difficult to tell the difference from small tenor unless you compare backbores.
    You can probably find some of the smaller Bb Tenorhorn's in this shank. If you have something that seems to kinda fit a Trumpet or Trombone mouthpiece, it's probably this. Good luck with backbore.

10.8mm/11mm - Small Tenor Shank

11.5mm - "Baritone" Shank
    To produce this size, just use Bach 381 "extension" (adapter) on a small shank mouthpiece.
    Supposedly the typical size for European Baritones. Definitely used on the Soviet Tenorhorns. I thought this was just some poorly done 11mm shank until I bought a proper vintage mouthpiece.
    This is NOT Besson medium shank. If you insert a medium shank mouthpiece into an 11.5mm reciever, something is getting damaged.

12mm - ???
    I bought an Орфей rotary Baritone. Figured it was 11.5mm, but after a lot of measuring and testing, determined it was 12mm. Confirmed with ebay searching that this exists.
    If you have a horn with this receiver, time to bust out the wallet and contact Josef Klier. Medium shank will sort of fit, but it will play like garbage.

12.5mm - Bass Trombone shank, Large Tenor Trombone shank, Small Tuba shank
    Some people call this tenor trombone shank. Those people might be very young.

12.65mm - Contrabass Trombone shank, maybe the "other" Bass Trombone shank?

13mm - ??? (Something uses this)

13.5mm - Tuba shank.

Some other stuff:

Random Conn "Remington" tapers:
    Conn was using various proprietary shank sizes before WW2. I actually have a very late model Conn 2 Trombone mouthpiece which is the small shank version of this, but the end of the mouthpiece has too much damage to provide a useful measurement. The taper looks the same as Besson medium shank and the length is shorter than normal small shank. For what it's worth, it fits well enough and has no obvious anomalies on any of my small shank horns. Whether it's really "Remington" taper or not, I'll leave that for someone else to fight about.

Besson medium shank: What's a more famous and popular proprietary shank size? A little larger than 11.5mm shank. Taper is wider at the top than typical? I don't have the tools to measure it properly and it's not that important to me.

*edit*
    Confirmed. Pre-Connstellation era (at least) Conn horns are using a proprietary shank. I repaired my pre-improved Conn 2 Precision and it fits perfectly in my 1947 20-I, but does not properly fit my 1948 Pan American. The taper does seem to be exactly the same as Besson medium shank, but I'm still unable to get any meaningful measurements to say what that actually is. The proprietary small shank end is ~.440". It's unlikely that anyone really cared about this, if they even noticed, because it doesn't seem to have much impact on the instrument. If it fits it ships. If it plays it stays.
    Last edited by notaverygoodname; 01-07-2020 at 02:00 AM. Reason: new info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123