Thread: Small or Large Shank???

1. Question Small or Large Shank???

I need help!! I just recently bought a new Euphonium online and it came with a very small bore mouthpiece. I want to buy a large bore mouthpiece, but I am unsure of how to figure out if I need a small shank or large shank mouthpiece. How do I find this out? If anyone knows how to figure this out, please let me know!

Hi Jared,

Welcome to the forum. What make and model horn did you get? That would tell us what size mpc you need.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for asking this question! It comes up pretty often, and I happen to have my calipers handy this time.

Speaking a little roughly, if you measure the small end of the mouthpiece, you'll find this:

Small, tenor trombone-size shank: 7/16" or 11mm
    Large, bass trombone-size shank: 1/2" or 12mm

The medium (European) shank measures about halfway between the other 2, or 15/32" or 11.5mm

I checked with a AAA battery, and the diameter is very close to the end of the small shank mouthpiece. The AAA battery ALMOST fits inside the end of the large shank.

Hope that helps!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

This is such a fundamental question I decided to add it to the Reference section of the forum:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forumdi...uthpiece-Sizes

Next time this comes up I won't have to go get my calipers!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Do you have a friend with a regular tenor trombone that you can compare mouthpieces? If the tip of your mouthpiece is the same as your friend's mouthpiece, then you have a small shank. If it is larger, then you have a large shank.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    Do you have a friend with a regular tenor trombone that you can compare mouthpieces? If the tip of your mouthpiece is the same as your friend's mouthpiece, then you have a small shank. If it is larger, then you have a large shank.
    Well, maybe. If what you mean by a regular tenor trombone is a small bore (.508) tenor, then yes, that would be a small shank. But, if the regular tenor trombone is the larger bore (.547) size, then that trombone takes a large shank mouthpiece.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

7. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Well, maybe. If what you mean by a regular tenor trombone is a small bore (.508) tenor, then yes, that would be a small shank. But, if the regular tenor trombone is the larger bore (.547) size, then that trombone takes a large shank mouthpiece.
    Yes, by regular, I mean traditional regular, from the .481/.491 King 2B through Yammy .525.