Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Euph in trunk or on back seat?

1. I put mine in the passenger seat of my Jaguar convertible with the top down. It loves the ride, and gets jealous if I put it in the trunk while I get the sunshine.

You might want to bungee it down (the horn, not the Jag). As I reported in another thread, I had a full-size tuba in a crate sucked out of the back of my pickup by a passing semi.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

3. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    You might want to bungee it down (the horn, not the Jag). As I reported in another thread, I had a full-size tuba in a crate sucked out of the back of my pickup by a passing semi.
    Well, of course! Does nobody pick up on satire anymore?

I thought we were talking about your woof, not your euph.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

5. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    In my sports car (Scion FR-S), there is no room behind driver's seat, but it fits nicely in the trunk and doesn't slide around, though it is severe danger if I am rear-ended.

Doug
    I learn something new every day: the displacement of a euphonium is about 6.9 cubic feet!

My horn is jealous that it only gets to ride in an Elantra. It does know how to drive stick, though.
    Whatever you lose, you'll find it again. What you throw away, you'll never get back.

-- Kenshin Himura

1974 B & H Imperial / Bach 3G -- no LTE mouthpieces for me!

Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    Well, of course! Does nobody pick up on satire anymore?
    Particularly those who think others don't?
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 01-21-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

7. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Particularly those who think others don't?
    Thanks.

I have an SUV. I mostly carry the euph in the cargo area, but I orient it with the bottom bow end of the case against the back seat, so that if the horn moves forward on a short stop or accident, the bottom bow (which is the strongest part of the horn) will tak to force, instead of the bell.
    Bell damage occurs when the bell hits the inside of the case when the case stops short and the horn doesn’t.

Don

Not a car commercial, but ... We just got our '18 Honda Pilot in the past year. After turning off most of the "intelligent" warning and energy-saving systems, it's a great car, and a pleasure to drive. One really nice feature of it is that the rear cargo compartment isn't just a single flat space extending from behind the rear seat to the rear cargo door. Instead, just in front of the rear cargo door is a "well" that's the width of the compartment and about 17"x44" and 7" deep. A bass trombone fits in it very nicely along with some accessories, as does quite a decent collection of shopping bags. The euph fits in it nicely too. It completely eliminates the problem of stuff sliding all around in the cargo area. Altogether a triumph of design.

One thing people might consider for restraining their instruments wherever they're being carried in a car is to get some simple cargo net (Harbor Freight?, auto store? Walmart? Amazon?) and rig it so that the horn won't be shifting around and subject to fast turns or sudden stops. Most contemporary trunks and cargo spaces have some sort of anchors for the use of such nets. And even if you want to put it in the back seat you cold probably rig some attachment points in one way or another. It's a pretty simple, inexpensive, and generally effective solution.
    Gary Merrill

10. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    One thing people might consider for restraining their instruments wherever they're being carried in a car is to get some simple cargo net (Harbor Freight?, auto store? Walmart? Amazon?) and rig it so that the horn won't be shifting around and subject to fast turns or sudden stops. Most contemporary trunks and cargo spaces have some sort of anchors for the use of such nets. And even if you want to put it in the back seat you cold probably rig some attachment points in one way or another. It's a pretty simple, inexpensive, and generally effective solution.
    Indeed. When my horn wants to take a nap and is not fussing about having the top down, I have one of these elastic nets in my trunk that holds the case securely. All joking and satire aside, this is the best way to haul a horn, because in case something untoward happens, usually the strong elastic of the net will give just enough to prevent an impact or near-miss damage, but still be secure enough to prevent secondary damage to the horn, even in its case, from any rattling around in the vehicle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast