Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euph in trunk or on back seat?

Euph in trunk or on back seat?

Where in the car do folks put their horns when traveling to gigs?

I used to put my horn (in its gig bag) in the trunk of my car when traveling to gigs. About 7 or 8 years ago I switched to putting the horn on the back seat. I started this after hearing some horror stories of horn damage getting the horn in and out of the trunk. One friend of mine was rear-ended in his car and his Willson was damaged. He added that if it was on the back seat it probably wouldn’t have received any damage. Plus the temperature inside the car is more constant. If I go out for refreshments after a concert or rehearsal, I put the horn in the trunk so it’s out of sight.

i know that a lot of folks car pool to rehearsals or concerts so the back seat isn’t always an option.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I drive a 4-door pickup with a flat tonneau cover. I put my horn in the back seat because it's more convenient, but avoiding the damage in a possible rear-ender is also a consideration.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

3. I put my instruments in the back seat whenever I can, and if I have to put it in the trunk I try to make sure my instrument is the only thing there.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Depends. I drive a Honda Accord, and is has a huge back trunk. If I do put it in the trunk, it is put as far in as I can. In a really bad rear ender, my horn would probably be toast, but in a less severe rear ender, it would probably be okay. On really cold days or when it is convenient, I put my horn in the back seat. So, guess I really don't have a set place every time. Back seat and strapped in with a seat belt would probably be safer in most all scenarios. I do have full coverage replacement insurance on my horn for ANY loss whatsoever, no matter what happens. I also always carry my Adams horn in the Marcus Bonna hard case, not a gig bag. However, I am using an Altieri gig bag right now with my Wessex Dolce euphonium while my Adams is at Lee Stofer's shop getting some TLC done. Probably because the Wessex case is so HHUUGGEE!!! So, I am a little consistently inconsistent I suppose when it comes to cases and travel arrangements.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

5. I have found that if I have a back seat, my euph will sit in the gig bag on the floor behind the driver's seat with the bell nearest the left side passenger door. This means that the horn is cradled between the front and back seat cushions and is held in securely. I have carried it this way in a 2000 VW Passatt, 2005 GMC Canyon, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2012 Toyota Yaris, and 2018 Toyota Rav-4. In my sports car (Scion FR-S), there is no room behind driver's seat, but it fits nicely in the trunk and doesn't slide around, though it is severe danger if I am rear-ended.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I also transport my horn on the floor behind the driver's seat, where it is nicely captured between the seats. But I haul it in its original case. I have had bad experiences with gig bags and won't run the risk any more of damaging the horn.

JP

I drive a Smart Car, there is only Trunk or Passenger's Seat

Mine goes in the 'trunk', my engine is also in the trunk so if I get rear-ended, I have more problems than my horn.

In the SUV (Honda Pilot), any instrument goes in the rear cargo compartment. In the Chevy Silverado pickup (extended cab) it goes in the back seat. Part of the reason for this is that I like to load/unload everything at one point in the vehicle. And I always have at least the instrument (tuba, trombone, euph) and my gear bag (and sometimes a Manhasset stand). Very occasionally I may put the trombone in the back seat. But never the euph or the tuba.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Interesting thread. I drive a large SUV. My horn is placed on its side in the back seat for two reasons: in -30C temps, I don't want my horn to freeze on the long journey to rehearsal, and I don't want the horn to bounce around in the back while driving on roads heaved by frost. So, to those of you who live in warm climes - enjoy!
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

I drive a Prius, which is a hatchback. I put the horn in the trunk, but since it's not divided from the passenger compartment it receives the benefit of heat in the winter and AC in the summer. If I have to leave the horn unattended in the car for any reason, I pull closed the hatch cover, a sliding screen over the trunk that hides it from view.

If a ten-ton truck were to rear-end me, horn damage would be the least of my worries.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast