Thread: WTB: Demondrae Thurman Signature Mouthpiece

WTB: Demondrae Thurman Signature Mouthpiece

I’m looking for this piece in good condition for a price below retail if so possible. My college professor suggested I give this piece a shot but the price new is a little rich for my budget right now. Thank you so much!

Hello Timebust, try contacting Thomann USA... Their web site lists the Demondrae MP at $159 US.... Seems about $50 below list price:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/warburt...=108&savesel=1

The MP is currently out of stock... I am not sure how long it would be to obtain one.... Also, I have never done business with Thomann, so I am not sure of their reliability.

Please keep us posted on your quest for the Demondrae.... Eventually, I intend to get one as well.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

BTW, has your professor indicated to you why he suggests the Demondrae... Or in other words, the advantages of this MP over other ones?

G.

Thank you for a new lead I hadn’t found yet! I’ve been using a sm4u for a few years now. It’s been serviceable but that “Wick Fuzz” has always been present in my sound. We played around with some other pieces that had slightly shallower cups and rounded rims and we came to the conclusion that a piece with similar depth to the sm4u and a rounded rim is something I should look into. I have large lips so a rounded rim with a good cup depth has seemed to be what gives me a pure sound free of fuzziness, getting away from Wick is a good thing for me personally. I tested a super deep Warburton piece for giggles (mouthpiece specs unknown) and found comfort with the overall feel and build quality hence our thought to find and test Demondrae’s since it’s so loved.
    Last edited by Timebust; 01-15-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Typo

Thank you Timebust, I am experiencing some fuzz on my SM4U as well... But being a newbe euphonium dabbler, I have been imputing it to my, ahem.... Still flabby chops

Trying to obtain a purer tone throughout the range... Hopefully I'll get better... Been practicing some 45 minutes to one hour per day.... But the Demondrae is definitely on my radar... I might spring for it next Christmas.

Regards, Guido

I contacted Thomann via Email yesterday.... This morning I found the following response in my inbox:

"From: Thomann [mailto:brass@thomann.de]
    Subject: AW: Warburton Demondrae MP for Euphonium

Dear Customer,
    thank you for your inquiry!
    We can offer this mouthpiece for €134.50 + €30.00 shipping (without taxes). Together this would be USD 187.43 at the current exchange rate.
    The delivery time would be about 4 weeks to the USA. We only can ship from Germany. If you want to have it shipped directly by Warburton, you can order it here:
    http://www.warburtonstore.com/deth.html

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to contact us!

Kind regards

Nikolas Brüger, Brass department
    Tel: +49 9546 9223-26 | Fax: +49 9546 9223-24 | E-Mail: brass@thomann.de"

Bottomline is that this is a little better than list, but not an exceptional deal. Regards, Guido

The Warburton DT is a wider mouthpiece than the SM4U and is comparable to the SM3U in width. The DT is shallower and more open than comparable Wicks--in short, it's a big change. I might try something easily and more cheaply available in a wider size, like an SM3, to know if that width works for you before paying the money for a DT.

John