Thread: Wick 4AL cup depth compared to SM4U and SM4X?

1. Wick 4AL cup depth compared to SM4U and SM4X?

Hey all,

Been looking at a new mouthpiece for a couple months now and am very interested in the Wick SM Ultra X line. I have recently played a bit on a Wick 4AL and a Schilke 51, the 51 is too small of a mouthpiece but the depth was okay for articulating. The 4AL is a better overall size, but is the cup depth similar to that of the SM4U? I'm thinking of going for the SM4X because it's a bit shallower, but does anyone have experience with these mouthpieces? I like the overall size of the 4AL, but would like a slightly shallower cup, would the SM4X meet that need better?

Thanks for any input or suggestions!

I've played on both a 4AL and an SM4U, and the SM4U was 3-4 mm deeper as far as I could estimate.
    Both are too wide for me, but the sound they give is great.

I played on all three, but the measure 3 that, apart from the size of the cup, can compared with the 4. The SMU has a deeper cup, dark tone, I did not particularly like it, while the SMX has a less deep cup that makes the sound brighter, easier to produce the high register, I used it for a while before discovering K&G mouthpieces.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I played on all three, but the measure 3 that, apart from the size of the cup, can compared with the 4. The SMU has a deeper cup, dark tone, I did not particularly like it, while the SMX has a less deep cup that makes the sound brighter, easier to produce the high register, I used it for a while before discovering K&G mouthpieces.
    Hi Franz! I've read quite a few posts of yours mentioning the K&G mouthpieces. I was wondering, since I've read that the rim is as sharp as the DW AL mouthpieces. Is that the case or is it more comfortable for you?
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    Hi Franz! I've read quite a few posts of yours mentioning the K&G mouthpieces. I was wondering, since I've read that the rim is as sharp as the DW AL mouthpieces. Is that the case or is it more comfortable for you?
    Yes, some on this forum claim that K&G mouthpieces have a sharp rim: it can be, but I and many others (ex. Jake Guilbo) find them absolutely fantastic. The rim is wide enough and my strength has more than doubled. Since I use them my chops have never gone into crisis, even in the long concerts with demanding pieces in the high register.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

6. Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Yes, some on this forum claim that K&G mouthpieces have a sharp rim: it can be, but I and many others (ex. Jake Guilbo) find them absolutely fantastic. The rim is wide enough and my strength has more than doubled. Since I use them my chops have never gone into crisis, even in the long concerts with demanding pieces in the high register.
    I also have moved to K&G having tried SM and DC mouthpieces I have never heard claims of them being sharp

7. Sorry to potentially hijack this thread, but I have a question for the K&G users who have chimed in. I would appreciate your comments on how K&G rim sizes compare to Wicks. There have been some comments on other threads but they were largely non-specific, i.e. go one to two sizes, or maybe more, larger on K&G. Thanks.