Thread: Wessex German Tenor Horn - Review

Lightbulb Wessex German Tenor Horn - Review

I just got the horn today, and decide to write this review hoping it would be useful, since no one seems to have written (or maybe even purchased) it, and it does seems to be a nice horn despite rarity.

Background
    I like the response/feel of rotary valve (from my trombone experience), and have long wanted a rotary-valved instrument in Bb. Either euphonium, bass trumpet, baritone or tenor horn suits me. If anyone remember, I once post a thread asking about the Wessex Kaiserbariton, but did not get much information. Once I got my bonus this year, I hesitated between the Kaiserbariton, Wessex rotary bass trumpet, Schiller 4-valve basstrumpet, and this German tenor horn. At last I chose this horn, since the Kaiserbariton (No.2 on my wish list) is much more expensive and only have silver-plated in stock (which is also more expensive and not my taste), I don't like the look of the Wessex bass trumpet, and the Schiller is even more expensive than the Kaiserbariton.

I ordered it on Tuesday night (UTC+7), and it arrived around Friday noon. However I changed the delivery address, hence one day delay.

Fit and Finish
    To be honest, I didn't expect that much. However, the finish is very good, with minor lacquer blemish on the bottom bow. Wessex engraved dragon valve caps and levers look beautiful, but I would be more happy if it has tuning slides guard rings (the Kaiserbariton has it). Fit is not perfect, and I have to use a little force to insert the second valve slide and main tuning slide, the latter of which is problematic, since the water key seems to be unable to drain anything and I have to remove the slide entirely to pour the condensation out. And man this horn fills up quick!

Tuning slides' movement is also a bit rough and scratchy, maybe because it is nickel silver in and out. And I found black residue on the valve hubs when I unscrewed the caps. However, after oiling and greasing, the movement of the tuning slide becomes more acceptable, albeit still rougher than my bass trombone (a Yamaha). The valves are also smooth if not a bit on the heavy side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	725.1 KB 
ID:	6532

There are two strap rings soldered to the bell. No strap is included, but I am thinking about buying a saxophone strap for it soon.

How it plays
    Darker than I expected. Recently I have watched many tenor horn videos (as a preparation) and in some, like this one Ernst Hutter & Die Egerländer Musikanten - Romanze für Tenorhorn 2010, the sound seems to be bright with abundant higher overtones. My horn, on the contrary, sounds to me more like a euphonium. Maybe it is because I used a large deep mouthpiece (Yamaha 51D I bought in expectation of a bass trumpet), maybe it is because the gold brass bell, or maybe it is just my perception, since my former band teacher (I play and help teach at my former school) said it sounds like baritone and not euphonium like I heard.

Intonation is not great. I have heard the baritone, euphonium, and similar instruments is inherently out of tune. However, this horn seems to be more out of tune than euphoniums I have played (and those are in quite bad shape already!). Almost an hour passed before I found a tuning slides position that is acceptably in tune, but some notes are still out of tune and require lipping, something a man who mainly plays trombone is not familiar with. However, at the end of the day I played reasonably well... I think. Some savings from now and I might get a tuning trigger on the main slide made for it. The high range (C and upper) are quite in tune, however, and high G with 2nd valve is in tune.

One of the thing I like about the horn is it has a usable false low Eb, therefore the range is fully chromatic to pedal E despite it having only 3 valves.

The horn feels quite stuffy, though, something one would expect coming from 14.30mm bore of a bass trombone to 13.00mm of this horn.

Accessories
    The "lightweight foambody case" stated in Wessex website turned out not that lightweight. Well maybe it is not that heavy either, but it is definitely thicker than necessary. But for me who don't think I will have to move that thing around very much, this is totally OK. It also seems to be protective enough. However, there is only a tiny accessory storage compartment in the interior, apart from a mouthpiece slot. I can only fit a cheesecloth in it, and that's that.

I also bought a euphonium/tuba stand together with the horn, since it cannot be placed bell-down on the ground like regular euphonium. Lucky me, since the horn seems unable to be left on the ground at any position without potentially damage the valve lever rack, or rocking back and forth and risking impact damage. The stand does not fit the horn (it is made for normal euphonium and tuba), but my horn sits well enough.

No mouthpiece included.

Verdict
    For $650 (+$50 for stand, $100 for shipping, and approx. $140 import tax and VAT), I am satisfied with this horn. It is not perfect, but it certainly worth the money. I don't know about its longevity and I have to find out in the near future. But as of now, I would recommend this to one who is interested in German Blasmusik, or just wants a rotary baritone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TH4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	609.5 KB 
ID:	6535

Spec (as tested)
    Bb German Tenor Horn (Rotary-Valved Oval Baritone Horn)
    Bell - 10" gold brass
    Body material - Yellow brass, with gold brass leadpipe and nickel-silver tuning slides and sleeves
    Bore - 13.00mm (.512")
    Finish - Clear lacquer
    Valve - 3
    Mouthpiece (as tested) - Yamaha 51D, Bach 12C for comparison for a short period
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TH2.jpg   TH3.jpg  
    Last edited by sirisobhakya; 01-05-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Chaichan Wiriyaswat

(ex) Kasetsart University Laboratory School Symphonic Band
    Yamaha YBL-830 + Yamaha Douglas Yeo Replica
    Wessex German Tenor Horn BR130 + Yamaha 51D

The 51D is definitely the wrong mouthpiece for that instrument. Several years ago the German band I played with at the time had a tenorhorn player from Germany (Norbert Galle, composer of Boemisher Traum) with in with us. He played my English baritone using his mouthpiece that he normally uses on tenorhorn. It was a Wick 9BS.

Don

Composer of Boehmischer Traum? I love that song! I wish I had a chance like yours.

I have tried the horn with Bach 12C lying around yesterday, but it is not that much brighter. Maybe I shall try with an old Yamaha 42B (also old and in quite bad shape) or 48A (around the same spec as 9BS, but I have to buy it).

Quote Originally Posted by sirisobhakya View Post
    Composer of Boehmischer Traum? I love that song! I wish I had a chance like yours.
    Funny story as to how it happened. The band (rather awful playing, but that’s another story) were playing in a fixed location at the end of the parade route for the Steuben Day Parade on 5th Ave in NYC. Norbert was in NYC for the parade. We happened to be playing Boehmischer Traum when he walked by. He was thrilled, and became close friends with the bandleader.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    The 51D is definitely the wrong mouthpiece for that instrument.
    Indeed. It'd be even more inappropriate for bass trumpet.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Indeed. It'd be even more inappropriate for bass trumpet.
    The bass trumpet sound I want is something like that of Herr Leonhard Paul of Mnozil Brass: a mellow tone like bass flugelhorn. I know I need a true German style bass trumpet (wider bore and wider bell, like the one Mr. Leonhard is using) to achieve that, but at least I would like to try with mouthpiece first...
    Chaichan Wiriyaswat

Quote Originally Posted by sirisobhakya View Post
    The bass trumpet sound I want is something like that of Herr Leonhard Paul of Mnozil Brass: a mellow tone like bass flugelhorn. I know I need a true German style bass trumpet (wider bore and wider bell, like the one Mr. Leonhard is using) to achieve that, but at least I would like to try with mouthpiece first...
    Professor Paul is not playing a bass trumpet. It’s really a bass flugelhorn (Aka a euphonium wrapped like a flugelhorn).

There are really two very different instruments that are both called German/Austrian bass trumpets - there's the more symphonic style instrument typified by the Alexander, Thein, Laetsch, Gopp, Meinl Weston 127/128, Kuhnl & Hoyer in C, Jurgen Voigt 598, etc.; and there's the more "beer-hall polka band" style instrument, which definitely is more of a bass flugelhorn, as Don suggests. This includes instruments like the Meinl Weston 129, Kuhnl & Hoyer in Bb, Voigt 259, Cerveny, Worischek, Votruba, Dotzauer, etc.
    --
    Barry

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    There are really two very different instruments that are both called German/Austrian bass trumpets - there's the more symphonic style instrument typified by the Alexander, Thein, Laetsch, Gopp, Meinl Weston 127/128, Kuhnl & Hoyer in C, Jurgen Voigt 598, etc.; and there's the more "beer-hall polka band" style instrument, which definitely is more of a bass flugelhorn, as Don suggests. This includes instruments like the Meinl Weston 129, Kuhnl & Hoyer in Bb, Voigt 259, Cerveny, Worischek, Votruba, Dotzauer, etc.
    That was just what I was thinking! Barry, your knowledge is showing...
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thank you! I have always doubted that "German style bass trumpets" are quite diverse in construction and sound, but have never thought they are different instruments altogether.

Now if any decent Chinese stencil/import maker would make the beer-hall type for under $1500, I shall be the first one to buy it.
    Chaichan Wiriyaswat