Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Childs second 'Symphonic Euphonium' CD

David Childs second 'Symphonic Euphonium' CD

... is coming out in 2019. This recording was done in Manchester, England with the BBC orchestra. Concertos by Edward Gregson, Michael Ball and Paul Mealor, as well as the first euphonium recording of the Ralph Vaughan Williams - F Minor Tuba Concerto. The RVW was taken up a fourth for David by arranger Rodney Newton. Can't wait until it's out!

15 min video by 4barsrest:
    Last edited by RickF; 01-08-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

To have the letters from RVW suggesting taking it up a 4th for Euphonium is certainly exciting! Hope they don't make too many other changes, but the original is super fun to play on Euph as written!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Here is the VW response to the original request to take it up a fourth / rearrange for Military and Brass Band and to be played on Euphonium:
    http://vaughanwilliams.uk/letter/vwl3065

He appears to respond favorably provided it was a complete re-orchestration.

Also another letter shows he gives his approval for Euphonium to perform the 2nd movement as written and scored:
    http://vaughanwilliams.uk/letter/vwl2861
    K&G 3.5D
    San Francisco Brass Band

It remains to be seen how well it sounds. Pretty sure the orchestra wasn't crazy about the new key, but I think it will sound great on euphonium... especially with David performing it.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The broadcast of the new Gregson Concerto was stunning, at the RNCM. David Childs’ playing was as sublime as you might expect, and this was well worth the wait. Truly a wonderful Concerto by master musician who properly understands the capabilities of the instrument rather than simply pushing technical boundaries for the sake of it. I’d become disenchanted with a lot of modern concertos because it seemed to me little or no thought was given to heritage or repeat performances, and often just seemed to be another “premiere” or “commission” notch on the musical bedpost, as it were.

This new Gregson piece keeps the tradition of the accessible Euphonium Concerto alive, following the path set by Horowitz and continued by John Golland and Philip Wilby.

As for the Vaughan Williams? It’ll be an interesting listen, certainly.
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

Here is the link to purchase the CD - it doesn't come out until November 1st but you can hear samples of the VW and Gregson, interesting stuff!
    https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...c-euphonium-ii
    K&G 3.5D
    San Francisco Brass Band

Thanks Jake. Just ordered mine.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

8. I’m really excited about a playable version of the VW concerto on the euphonium. It presents an interesting question for the soloist: How much should my interpretation be influenced by tuba performances of the piece? My initial thought is that a completely different approach (articulation, note length, vibrato, etc.) might be better on the euphonium rather than just trying to sound like a smaller tuba. Really interested to hear what David does with it.

How soon could study copies of the manuscripts be available in the US? Specifically the VW and the Gregson, but I’d be interested in all 4.
    Last edited by ann reid; 10-23-2019 at 09:13 AM.

@Martin - I completely agree. Based on the samples, David does a remarkable job tailoring the VW as if it were an original Euphonium concerto.

@Ann - I asked David via twitter but didn't get a response. I want to buy the VW and Gregson as well!
    K&G 3.5D
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast